Scrog build. Should I change it?

What do you all think of my setup? I like it being nice and simple other than the hole diameter in the screen is a little small. Im sure the branches will get up through it just fine. My concern is pulling them back through to tuck. I have a couple weeks before I put it on so I have time to change it.

7 Likes

I think the holes are way to small

7 Likes

I would think as you noticed the holes are very small. The branches will go through sure, but the leaves reach up through it also. I use one of those cheap nets with 4" holes. I also have 2 levels.

1st level is to train and spread the plant out and help support it. I cut squares on this one later if its to tight. Top net keeps heavy bud from falling over and holds it up into the light.

Others have differnt and there are many correct answers. Here is mine -

Have a stunted runty plant that i can use to show both levels well with.

9 Likes

Very nice builds! Maybe ill go your route with the mesh. The thought of drilling, screwing, and running string does not interest me.
Ive got bungee style trellis Ill use as the upper support later in flower.

1 Like

What if I were to just cut them open bigger?

4 Likes

I agree the holes are very small. I feel if you cut out one tab on alternating sections throughout the whole net youd be in good shape though. Like alternating 2"x4" holes. It should give you plenty of play to weave and manipulate her without being too rough.

4 Likes

You can see here i took one of the bungie trellis and added string inbetween each section making it more rigid while being able to stretch when needed.

8 Likes

I think thats what ill do instead of wasting what i have. Try it for this grow and change for next time if i dont like it

1 Like

I found that zipties in the middle of each hole to secure the net around the frame works great. Dont secure them all the way down right away and tie and weave your string through each accordingly until youre done. Then any where you might be a little slack just tug on the zipties some and sinch them up.

The elastic nets are trash otherwise imo. The holes are too big and stretchy

2 Likes

I agree about the elastic trellis. Thats why I made my own. Plants are to strong for the elastic to train them

2 Likes

Plus by not securing the zipties down you can slide and adjust the strings as needed.

2 Likes

@beardless has some great SCROG builds. I copied one of his with wheels and it was awesome just dont use it as much as id like. I agree with the others the squares are too small. I would see if you can get some 3-4 inch squares maybe minimum 2 inches. Most people who DIY will use mason line and screws or a bungee net

2 Likes

Go through and cut out the cross sections like this and it should work well for you.

That said this would work for training as is but it won’t work for hosting bud sites.

8 Likes

I watched a build using the snow fence with larger openings and it worked awesome, which is why I wanted to try it. I couldnt find the exact snow fence I wanted and didnt want to mess with the screws and mason line. And the bungee net I planned on using for second tier support.

3 Likes

Im headed to do that now. I was thinking the same thing. Thanks!
As far as hosting bud sites, you mean support wise? I plan to add an elastic trellis later in flower to hold the heavy tops. Ill see how it works this round. If I want a more rigid upper trellis, ill swap the fittings out on the pvc frame and make it stackable.
This is for a two plant grow so a lot of the growth will hopefully be horizontal, not vertical. Thats the plan anyways.

3 Likes

Well the traditional scrog is flipping at 70-80% full and continue tucking until you can’t. Like 1.5 weeks on 12/12. Thus scrog, screen of green. You fill it and the bud sites stay low and spread out.

I use my primary net for spreading out the plant 100% before flipping, then adding a secondary, sometimes a 3rd net to support the bud later.

Not great examples but you can get an idea… you can see the secondary nets I used. This is not traditional scrog, but a way I train my plants- usually.

My first scrog is 3x4 holes. The second is cheap 6x6 to support weight, and you cut it to size of your area. Which can be a pain but it works and I don’t feel bad about throwing it away.

This method has yielded me up to 1.5LBS in a 2x4 of dense bud.

7 Likes

My thoughts were pretty much as you are doing. Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

No problem, be warned it does take A LOT of time to fill the screens like this That’s why a lot of people will just throw a net on after a week or 2 after flipping. But it does make for a really solid trunk.

6 Likes

I knew filling my 4x4 would take some time vegging. Its a fun grow I’ve wanted to do. My goal is a pound of bud.

5 Likes

What light? I can pull that off around 300 watts brother. Take your time. It’s worth it.

5 Likes