Saw a New Bug Today

I was debating whether to spray them with some Sprite or something to keep them from flying around and stay on the plants

It’s true, however @bryan has a major infestation for what I could understand and the ladybugs gone a reproduce with that plenty of foods :innocent: And putting a translucid mesh around lights or around the crops with the ladybugs inside is a solution if he note problem with them :innocent::v:

3 Likes

Just received ladybugs and spinosad in mail. And so the battle for bug supremacy begins. Ladybugs, flying in formation, begin the initial assault.

5 Likes

I love watching this kind of stuff…:imp:

:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

So much for the initial assault. Seems they do not congregate on the led lights, but there is a major party on my T5 fluorescent fixture. Most of them are there giving each other piggy-back rides.

1 Like

That’s love :heart_eyes::heart::couplekiss_man_woman: @brian lol they are in reproduction mode, soon you gone a have an army of hungry larvae, hatching after 3 to 4 days after the ladybugs spond there eggs around aphids :wink: miam miam lol :sweat_smile: :innocent:

1 Like

@Niala @Aquaponic_Dumme well I sent in the second wave bug assault last night. First wave was getting lazy. Will put the rest of the ladybugs in tonight. Man those thrips have feasted, leaving little dead spots everywhere. I figure to let the bugs eat until Sunday, then begin Spinosad solution and keep it as maintenance spray until the week before harvest. PLUS ilgm confirmed payment today on WWAuto’s; gonna start them in Grodan when they arrive cuz I am running out of electricity with 6 buckets going with all the bells and whistles I can afford.

2 Likes

The first wave getting lazy is probably because they have eaten enough and female are probably preparing for sponding, if not already done , the second wave is a good thing and larvae hatching gone a help finish the job :wink::lady_beetle::+1:

Personnaly, I would be more patient and give the chance to the ladybugs and there incoming larvae before applying Spinosad because it will kill the ladybugs and there offspring as well as the aphids, however, that is me :innocent:

2 Likes

yeah, u r right, I will give them some more time to eat. They got a couple more weeks to grow before my WWA seeds arrive. just not wanting to start new seeds if bugs around.

1 Like

I would like to say I, personally, don’t think it’s a good idea to spray anything on them once they start to flower.

2 Likes

I was of the same mind until read up. It is organic and can be used late into flower. Goes away 24_48 hrs. @Aquaponic_Dumme told me bout it and iron supplement I just picked up.

1 Like

That’s great information to get, and from a source I greatly respect. Taste being more important than yield to me, I don’t risk it.

I’m glad you found a good solution to the problem…

2 Likes

Well, the jury is still out on whether or not it has solved the problem. I just sprayed the plants with it. Damn thrips.

1 Like

did @Aquaponic_Dumme , recommend spaying this stuff while using lady bugs ??? after clear insite only .

Hammer .

1 Like

@bryan,

In our gardens, we use artificial lighting which is evenly covered. Yes, although very small amounts of spinosad are absorbed into the plant, 99% of it will break down in the first light cycle of flower.

Depending on your infestation level, I too would risk sacrificing my ladybugs for the elimination of thrips.

Here’s what the NPIC says about spinosad:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html

2 Likes

@Aquaponic_Dumme @Hammer. Thanks, read info and did my research prior to purchase. I let 1800 ladybugs loose in growroom for 4-5 days and could still find Live thrips, so then I used spinosad. The ladybugs just did not work quickly enough for me. It was polite of dumme to allow me to find out for myself.

@bryan,

Ive been sick with the flu, and apparently I didnt connect the dots that you decided to use both together. I truely don’t think you’d have a problem with Spinosad effecting your Ladybugs if you haven’t sprayed in a couple of days then released the Ladybugs, as it breaks down very quickly under HID lighting. Again, I’d be more worried about the Ladybugs flying up into the lights.

If you did release the Ladybugs first, then spray, yes, the Spinosad may have adverse effects on the Ladybugs.

I’m sorry for any confusion.

No confusion on my part. I figured ladybugs were not doing the job quickly enough for me (5 days was enuf). And yes I knew It would affect the ladybugs. Have major infestation. And little patience. oh yeah, the ladybugs liked the T5, but did not congregate on the leds much. Will see this morning who survived, thrips or ladies.

1 Like

ladybugs still active and alive.

4 Likes