Saw a New Bug Today

I have been treating a fungus gnat problem recently in my indoor dwc. Tiny little flying fellows. Today I was using 10X magnifier to look at new plant leaves. Found a microscopic bug, kinda looked like a miniature termite, body is translucent pale yellow, no wings. Is this a larvae or new kind of bug? No visible webs anywhere.

1 Like

This is a fungus gnat larvae

Hope that’s helping you :innocent:

It was walking across the leaf

1 Like

Without pictures it’s very difficult to do an accurate identification, so will try a different approach ;

You said it’s “walking”, did you posivitly saw legs whith absolute certainty or did it “crawl” across the leaf

Did it has a head? a tail? a translucid shell ? did it look like these :

Or like these

If it’s look like these, they are aphids

If they don’t look as above, give us a more detail description, as much information as you can provide will be appreciate. …

Hoping you’ll find this helpful. :innocent:

3 Likes

Seems like I have a huge thrip infestation in my flowering plants. Shit, I can’t really see well enough to have caught it before, it has been there for awhile, I am sure. Got microscopic whitish bugs, little dark spots of feces, white spots on leaves.

1 Like

So it’s more like these @bryan

1 Like

Found Robert’s guide on thrip control. Will nematodes survive my sterile Dwc? Can I spray w anything while in Flowers?

that is definitely what I have, plus a few fungus gnats.

1 Like

I grow in soil, @Aquaponic_Dumme is the reference for hydro setting. For what I know of thrips, they are extremely difficult do get rid of them, at that point you can just try to control the population by sticky pads . @bryan

Thanks @Niala Did more reading, nematodes for dirt. pirate bugs won’t do well at my high temps . So went online and ordered a bunch of ladybugs. Hope I am not too screwed, got a variety of plant sizes from sprouts to 3 weeks into flower.

1 Like

Very good idea the ladybug, you have a close environnement, so they’ll stick around and do the job :wink::innocent::+1::ok_hand:

lol… lets see. 5X8 growroom. 1500 ladybugs. I envision a flying sea of red bugs. Should make for some interesting plant pics. Waiting on ilgm WWAuto beans to arrive. I wonder if it will be safe to grow them in room?

2 Likes

I envision perfectly ; “the invasion of the ladybugs squadron : a new beginning” lol :joy: can’t wait to see pics of that :innocent::+1::ok_hand:… Personnaly I 'll wait for the new start-up and make a wide cleanup with an organic insecticide-fongicide of the room and a complete restart of your setting, of course after your harvest, however, that’s me :innocent:

1 Like

In an indoor environment you will want to provide your plants and your lady bugs with a house to come home to where there is food and water for them to live… besides living off of your plants and the bugs that they have created …so I would suggest you Google that which is basically a ladybug home and see what you get …I made 1 out of a propagation chamber that worked really well with a sponge for water I don’t remember what I gave them for food that’s why I’m telling you to Google it…

:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks, will do.

@bryan,

Anything with Spinosad will kill them. Once they’re maturing into fliers, you can also use sticky strips.
Good luck bud, Thrips are little terrors.

1 Like

@bryan , since your only into bloom 3 weeks you can use Safersoap . water the top of the soil alittle bit and spray plants completely and the containers as well . then immediately turn on a lot of fans to dry them . itll suffocate the little buggers fast .
Hammer.

3 Likes

@Hammer @Aquaponic_Dumme @peachfuzz @Niala Thanks for all the advice; feeling a bit less intimidated now. I have to confess, I have had them damn thrips for awhile. I also have been attributing the leaf damage from them to dry environment, high grow room temps, light burn. They were just too damn small to see with my vision. All I could see were the tiny dead spots on the leaves. Spinosad and ladybugs ordered. Will get Safersoap… Plan to start with ladybugs(did look them up, will feed and house them.) If they do not eat all the thrips, then on to others after ladybugs gone. I especially like that they are all organic based for my sterile dwc.

3 Likes

It’s my pleasure and you’re welcome @bryan always looking forward to help a fellow grower :innocent::v:

3 Likes

Lady buds work well, but what the seller doesn’t tell you is most of their hunting is done in their pupa & larvae stage in their life cycle. You’ll probably receive most of them as full adults, and they’ll end up in your lights. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

3 Likes