Same strain, same grow, 3 different looks

Is it normal to have same strain, here Wedding Cake (ILGM) all planted same time for some to look different and bloom at different time?. Difference in the one with purple is that it is in the SoftPot (the other two in SoftPots look like the other buds) and while gets nutrients drained off from AutoPot, on occasion gets FF Big Bloom. All get Calimagic and silica (as a pH up in AutoPot reservoir). I am using GH Flora Micro, Grow, and Bloom, and now added Liquid Kool Bloom to reservoir. Are seeds like puppies in a litter? Equal but not the same? Is the one with purple okay? I love how it looks. Have had to pull out one WC in an AutoPot as it hermied on me, had little clusters of sacs all over it. (We went a week with no AC and tent stayed at 84 to 85 degrees. That has been fixed. As the cannabis farmer couldn’t live in those conditions either. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen it several times grow two the same strain get two totally different looking plants an smell different. (Genetics ) kind of like kids look different.

1 Like

Precisely. It’s called phenotypes. Essentially different characteristics of the same genetics.

5 Likes

Currently I got two tall ones like twins, and a short fat plant. All the same strain

2 Likes

We did a bit of fiddling in the tent and added a fan coming from the other side of the tent. My son feels that the reason it was a bit weaker and not flowering was lack of enough breeze and he was right.

Also, did some research on Wedding Cake and found out it does have a tendency to hermie. It’s parents Cherry Pie and GSC both have that tendency as well, according to the article, and hence, it has a greater chance. Which made me feel better.

This whole project has been fun and fascinating. The learning curve seems steep though. :laughing:

3 different phenotypes, probably. Unless they’re clones, this difference is normal.

1 Like

Seeds. They came from here. Not ILGM fault though, just a series of unfortunate events. :grimacing:

It’s nobody’s fault. Plants grown from seed will show different phenotypes.

1 Like

True. Man I am now wanting to look at future grows that has purple in the leaves. This plant is artfully gorgeous. But purple is one of my favorite colors. The contrast in colors is so pretty. And I could rave on and on. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Variety is the spicy weed of life! Enjoy!

1 Like

I get that it’s phenotypes (genetics) which is at least four different types. But, with “good seeds” and “solid seeds”, the breeder is supposed to be backcrossing these and getting it so the seeds are the same all the time once they find the best one … or it’s just a fem seed anyone can make at home? I thought the genetics at ILGM are supposed to be pretty stable / same / not different phenotypes.

I grew two White Widow auto’s 7 days apart from each other. One grew to 46" tall while the other grew to 14" tall and don’t even look close to each other. ( I did top one of them at 31 days)

1 Like

No, if you want uniformity, you want clones. Doesn’t matter how much you breed back into itself, the seeds will always display different traits of their genetics (phenotypes). People pheno hunt so they can clone that pheno and keep uniformity. Or breed it hoping to pass on that pheno

3 Likes

Interesting on the pheno and breed hunt. Honestly, I have enjoyed the seed growing way better than my previous two years of complete disaster with clones, outside in harsh weather, which didn’t make. I have just LOVED seeing the difference in same breed seeds. Kind of like a box of chocolates. It is all good.

Here is two Wedding Cake from same seed order: Green plant is flowering a bit later, and in hydroponic system. The maroon colored one is in 3 gallon soft pot (peeking behind it is the Grape Ape bagseed, a short shrubby type holding it’s own. I think my seed shopping may be for color after seeing the beauty in these.

Would type of pot and placement in tent cause a drastic color change?

4 Likes

This is two blueberries from the same batch. One has green fan leaves and light blue buds, the other has purple/green spotted leaves and dark purple buds and sugar leaves. I’m diggin it :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

I have the same issue here are my white widow seeds three are short and fat with broad leaves and one is tall and skinny leaves.