Same batch of seeds very different results so far

Blueberry autoflower. One is very purple one has very little. Very happy with both.

16 Likes

Nice freakin work, sir/maā€™am! Welcome to ILGM :v:

2 Likes

Thanks. I feel like I hit the genetic lottery. I donā€™t see many pics of ILGM blueberry auto showing much purple. Sir BTWšŸ‘

4 Likes

Dropping your nighttime temperature will bring out her colors. You clearly have some decent lighting on them, so that helps. Letting the pH swing toward the alkaline side of the ā€˜normalā€™ range will help, too. Are they in soil, or hydro? The differences youā€™re seeing between seeds are probably just different phenotypes being expressed.

4 Likes

Temps get down to 72 at night. I am growing in coco with 30% perlite

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only grown in soil, and Iā€™m doing veggies in coco now. Iā€™m anxious to grow cannabis in coco. The growth rate compared to soil is ridiculousā€¦more watering, more often, but itā€™s a fair trade I think. As they get closer to finishing, see if you can get it down in the high 60s even, help them think itā€™s autumn. Iā€™ve read letting the pH rise changes the color, but Iā€™d hesitate to try that myself. I struggle so much with pH to begin with, but I feel like that will be easier to handle in coco, too. Easier to flush, if needed, anyway.

2 Likes

Iā€™m cheating and using AN coco bloom (no PH ing required) I will definently try dropping it in the 60ā€™s when we get a little further along. Thanks for the advice

4 Likes

Welcome to the community beautiful great job!

2 Likes

Welcome to ILGM!

1 Like

Welcome. Nice grow. They are lookin great!!

I believe more like the 50ā€™s would be more reliable at developing anthrocyanins. @MattyBear may have played with tempsā€¦

Low temps can help bring out colors that are there genetically, but most plants that donā€™t have that gene will stay green

1 Like

How soon to the finish should I drop to the 50s at night?

Welcome and congrats.

As far as genes go, itā€™s interesting that you mentioned the ā€œlottery.ā€ Even though, and Iā€™m making an assumption here, those seeds were from a self-pollination process, they are not clones of the mother plant. In her DNA, that mother plant has 10 alleles; 1 is for sex and 9 are for other traits. But in each allele there are two chromosomes. For example, letā€™s say the color allele (Iā€™m simplifying a lot) has a dominant green chromosome (uppercase G), and a recessive purple chromosome (lowercase p). Her pollen will mix with her flowers, giving Mr. Bergman a mixed bag of GG, Gp, and pp (heh) seeds. Only the pp seeds (~25%) will show purple, because in the presence of dominant G it will yield.

This is the same for all traits. A single allele can determine multiple traits, in case you were wondering.

To complicate matters more, identical plants (clones) may show different traits in response to different environmental factors. This is called phenotype.

Anytime we buy seeds we should expect variation. Careful breeders can narrow that variation down, but locking down more than one trait reliably is very difficult (from an anthropological view of time. Our lives are short. Nature is patient. Now Iā€™m getting philosophical).

Cheers @Jokerjones

4 Likes

Thanks for the information! Its intersing to see the extreme variations side by side.

2 Likes