Safe Soil testing

Hello all,

Just acquired the Apera PH20 and was wondering if it was safe to do a slurry
test of my soil with it?

I know it’s pretty sensitive and to those with more experience with it than I do,
would it be safe to follow all the steps in the Hanna Guide to do a soil pH reading?

This is the guide I’m referring too. This slurry test

It has been posted on this forum before so I’m assuming it’s ok.

1 Like

I’ve done slurry test with my ph20, but I just strain water out and test. I don’t stick probe into slurry mixture.

3 Likes

So if I prepared my slurry then poured it thru a coffee filter,
I would be safe testing?

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I was instructed by a member here on forum to do it. So far I haven’t had a problem doing it that way.

2 Likes

You are a life saver.
I been testing my soil with one of those yellow amazon-crap meters and getting
numbers back that are no where near close. This should help solve my problem.
Thank you a million times.

1 Like

Just a heads up on the ph20. You should get some storage solution for it. Apera recommends their brand. But the main thing is that it’s something called 3m kci. I was storing mine in some that I ordered from Amazon and started having problems calibrating. Talked to a apera rep and they explained that it would help keep probe working properly longer.

This is what I was using that caused a problem

This is what they recommend to use, notice the designation on label 3m kci

3 Likes

This has just answered two problems that have been rattling about in my head. The first was the slurry test and the second was the Apera storage solution. @PhillyRock and @Bulldognuts cheers guys :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Apera storage solution is on its way. The joys of internet shopping :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Just a heads up to anyone else reading…you can also store it in the 4.0 solution.

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I was having problems calibrating so I called company. Of course they didn’t mention that I could store in 4.0 solution.

1 Like

Nice bit of info @BobbyDigital. I would’ve thought the 7.0 would’ve been better with it being neutral but not so :face_with_monocle:. So glad I didn’t do that :sunglasses:

1 Like

There’s a surprise mate :slightly_frowning_face:

Out of likes :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah I always store mine in 4 pH solution. Never had a problem.

3 Likes

Funny that you mentioned that.
I just spent 2 hours on the interwebz and not more
than 5 minutes after I found out about the storage being
ok in the 4.00pH solution you posted this. You’re Psychic,
and I’ll still a Psycho. HAHA.

2 Likes