Sad news had a catastrophic failure a few week in

MI was about 2 weeks in with 2 seedlings and things were going pretty good. Rooted good, growth promising. Using an Ezcloner setup right now which has been great…until I had contractors in my house today doing the final test of the electric in my recently remodeled kitchen.

They were doing some arc fault tests etc. Well came home this afternoon roughly 6 hrs later and naturally came down to check my grow. Heart stopped when I got close and didn’t hear the churn of the Ezcloner…the plants looked very wilted. The biggest fan leaves were already brittle. The other leaves were still alive from what I could tell.

I immediately pulled the top off checked the pump and turned it on. Also dropped another air stone down I tot the rez for more oxygen. Has anyone had this happen and they come back?

Been a few hours now and they perked up a little. Posting late as soon as I saw this I immediately went and grabbed my tools and ran a dedicated line just to my grow tent. Installed a dual gang box of Z-wave controlled outlets.

One setup Light Control, two failsafes to keep the lights on and notify my phone of any problems with schedules.

Can see the volts the pump in the Ezcloner can see if it’s off and notifier if it’s not. Doing a few other things that can make and help notify us of emergencies sooner.

Can anyone add?

Ways to add redundancy?
Has your plants came back from it?
Should I just give it time?

A few hours doesn’t seem like it would be fatal to plants, but may depend a little on how developed they are and health prior. Seems like maybe going a little overboard, but you could probably install a battery backup system.

I already had this at my house, used to be a commercial fish store. So have all these things. Just hoping they can come back at all

1 Like

1 Like

Hope so too!

Top growth looks fine. I bet they recover no problem but it may take time because I don’t think those fan leaves will become operational again. So just wait for that top growth to grow out and back to normal.

Can you get new clones?

Been there - with small and big plants. They should recover. They are photoperiod plants, yes?

I have this clone on the bottom left:

It had almost no green material left but had rooted - today it finally has a new set of leaves on top.

2 Likes

Nah they came from seeds, I started a new batch though. It doesn’t set me back to much just frustrating at this point.

Great! I think it might survive, just frustrating as you can imagine lol. But I’m happy with the way I setup the outlets now. I used to use a system called an Apex on a saltwater tank, after thinking about it there are a lot of reasons one could use this as a controller in a grow.

Could use them at an ATO, Timer, Alarms etc. most probably think it’s overboard but seeing your parameters remotely if your away could be a great thing. Have some travel plans over the summer and would ease my mind a bit I think

1 Like

I’m big into remote monitoring. I built an Arduino temp/humidity sensor that connects to a free cloud service to an app on my phone, use smart switches that I can monitor and schedule for power to all major electronics in the tent, and use a webcam in the tent so I can do spot checks when I’m on the road and instruct my partner in crime (wife) on remedial action if needed. Anything that helps your garden grow when you can’t be there I’m in favor of using. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome then your the man to talk to about it then lol. I’m a computer programmer by trade have my firewall of my home built on a raspberry pi because…well because I can lol. I’ve built many dosing controllers for reef tanks and lots of other things. I’m used to the why would you want to do that response :joy:.

That’s my end goal is to do basically the same thing your saying. I’m in an area where it’s still frowned upon and many times I need a peek at the grow but have a lot of family house guests. Don’t need the why you going into the basement so much questions also :joy:

5 Likes

What a wonderful piece of mind to have such backups

2 Likes

You can really crack me up @Bogleg. If I wanna remotely view, I pull up a pic on my phone.

2 Likes