S33 Lighting for Seedlings

@SilvaBack203 for the past three days I’ve been at 36" 60% and before that I had it at 100% per user manual :frowning: I reduced it after reading a bunch more.

I’ve just moved the light to 26" at 40% which gives me ~300PAR and 20DLI at 18/6. Is that what I’m looking for? I have the heat under control and humidity 55-60% and below dewpoint.

Here is pict from last night

3 Likes

Yes, but not for long. 300 is a good level for seedlings. It’s not really a seedling any more. You’ll want ~600 PPFD for veg stage. I wouldn’t rush to raise the PPFD level. The nodes are already nice and tight.

5 Likes

@MidwestGuy I know initially the light was burning them perhaps :frowning: All but the second set of true leaves happened Saturday night thru Sunday. Here is a pict from Sat:

So, how do I increase to 600 correctly?

3 Likes

You adjust the light’s height or intensity to achieve 600 PPFD. There’s no method to it. Just do it when you are ready.

4 Likes

Midwest got you covered. I personally would let the girl grow and if you see the nodes spacing 2 close i would raise light if its 2 far i would lower it. They adapt 2 the light.

3 Likes

You guys rock, thank you! I think I get it now, let me know if I’m missing something please :slight_smile:

Neither height above canopy nor % intensity matter as long as getting PPFD>DLI numbers for correct stage, right? So I was like 20 DLI for past few days, now for veg I’ll start heading toward 30 DLI. What’s the max DLI for flower then?

If that’s right I can keep my lights closer and use lower intensity to help control heat?

Sort of. Proper PPFD numbers are achieved by height and intensity. They are directly related.

Proper PPFD levels:

Seedlings: 300
Veg: 600-800
Flower: 800 to 1,000

Achieve proper PPFD by whatever combination of intensity and height levels you wish.

1 Like

Do you have a android phone if so download the photone app , input your hours and get a dli of about 20-25 for a plant that size then increase it by 5 every 3-4 days

1 Like

No problem at all. You all set dont worry so much about dli and ppfd now. Let her grow the app is called photon on the app store use the sun setting if you wish to check dli…

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I mean @MidwestGuy, any combo to get to the numbers is okay, thanks! That seems to be the one simple fact that I hadn’t picked up after reading a bunch of articles.

@SilvaBack203 for sure, now patience, which I don’t have much of lol so eventually I’ll have a few tents running veges too :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I downloaded the iPhone app to measure it.

Here she’s is today

Shes looking good and healthy

1 Like

Thats a happy plant. Bubble bucket set up?

Thanks @Graysin! DWCR. Recirc’ing with small pump. Two buckets for plants, one for rez. Each has airstone.

1 Like

Very nice. I ask because I’ve noticed that, for whatever reason, my DWC/RDWC seedlings all seem to go through a period of general discontent, varying from light yellowing of leaves all the way to crisping up and acting like they want to drop dead. They almost always make it through just fine. But your first couple pics look reminiscent of that general discontent - this last photo looks to me like she’s on the mend and ready to throw a giant root mass into your bucket. :v:

Keep on Keepin’ on

1 Like

Thanks for telling me that! The earlier pictures, as a new ceiling, were lime green at best with some yellowing - I thought they’d not make it. I think things are looking up now!

Next time, I’m not putting the cube in the net pot until there’s enough roots to reach the bottom of it. I’ll leave them in their warm humid domes longer.

That is one hard app to figure out. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Which setting do you use? Full spectrum, red/blue, etc.? It seems to be all over the place to me, but I probably don’t know what I’m doing.

1 Like

I personally use “LED Full Spectrum” because that is the light I have. What light do you have?

Hlg 350r

1 Like