Rust colored leaves

Thanks for your input

1 Like

@Blasting

A magnesium deficiency, as manganese deficincies are mostly characterized by interveinal chlorosis which is a yellowing of the leaves between the veins with the veins remaining green. The browning spots is called marginal necrosis which is usually caused by a calcuim or magnesium deficiency.

A magnesium deficiency can be quickly resolved by watering with 1 tablespoon Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants can be foliar fed using ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of soil.
If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest into a reverse osmosis water filter.
Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don’t overdo Mg or you’ll lock up other nutrients.

Calcium deficiencies are difficult to distinguish visually as excess calcium may produce deficiencies in magnesium and potassium.

5 Likes

Thanks alot, really good info there. Would mixing RO + my well water to lower PPM work out?

Is any epsom salts good for plants?

2 Likes

It should lower it if the RO is 0ppm. I used to lower my ppm with distilled so I think it’s basically the same.

2 Likes

I believe @Noctis420 has you all set… Thank you Sir

2 Likes

I cant afford a RO system right now so what would be a good starting PPM? Mixing well water with distilled water to save a little I would like to mix it.

You can start with the 240ppm, just subtract it from your total ppm reading. My ppm are at about 90 when I start adding nutrients. My tap water’s ppm is low. Out of the facuet the pH is 8. I have only been giving small doses of calmag this grow and its worked well.

1 Like

Alrighty, I will add distilled water to my well water and bring it down to about 100ppm and see.how that works,if thats one of the issue Ill go for a RO system. Thing is only one plant out of 11 is having this deficiencie.

1 Like

By the way, thanks alot @Noctis420

2 Likes

You’re welcome @Blasting just don’t forget distilled water has nothing in it so you might have to supplement calmag in some cases if you get rid of a lot of ppm in your water. When I first started I used nothing but distilled and got hit hard by calmag deficiency. My tap water is rich in calmag per the town water report so now I use it and no longer use distilled. I now only add tiny amounts of calmag in veg. Anyway if it’s only the one plant then I wouldn’t go crazy, just check that pH first. :v:

3 Likes

I think i have water test somewhere ill.look at them

1 Like

My friend just told me the mother of that gifted blue cheese had that def also. Might be a genetic thing? Because we are not in same environment at all and all my other plants are showing nice green leaves all around