RR Needs Help designing my RDWC!

Hey yall so I have my design ready to go but im struggling with finding just the right parts. I initially was going with a waterfall ponics system but then learned there meant for people who are trying to get rid of the air pump. I now want to go undercurrent RDWC but I have some issues.

1. its only a 3 res system and there all in row with the third res (control) being outside the tent.
  2. I want to go 3 inch pvc but im having trouble deciding what proper parts to get. My biggest struggle is trying to find a 3in x 3in x 1in Tee so my water line can flow into the 3 in PVC.
  3. Im not entirely sure my engineering theory here is even right, I mean the water will flow in circulation? right?

There gonna be in 20 gal totes. Is there a filter also I can add somewhere to help. I thought about stuffing aquarium filter sponge in the start of the water line but idk.
2 Likes

Also how do I make a vegging plant stop growing hahah my girls in the flower tent aren’t quite done and I still gotta build the upgrade RDWC. Haha mistakes were made mistakes were made.

3 Likes

I don’t understand the 3" pipe. I use 1" on mine. 3" parts are expensive and not neccessary.

4 Likes

You know your prob right. So when I first learned about rdwc i found a guy on youtube named gary who made it own rdwc and that thing is amazing! He used 3in pvc because of the roots, he said anything smaller and it begins to clog the lines so ever since then my mindset has been 3 in. returns.

On my old system, I had 2" lines. Now I’m using 1" and haven’t had any problems. I don’t know what it’s called, but when they put the plant directly in the pipe, then you would need bigger pipes. I haven’t had any trouble with roots in my pipes

3 Likes

Banjo TF300 Polypropylene Bulkhead Tank Fitting, 3" NPT Female https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079JUH6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4PQuEb8CDBG5P

Lifegard Aquatics 1-Inch Double Threaded Bulkhead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DKAU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aRQuEb5PXF6C2

I had to have 20 for my setup.

Use these they work great. Also u can use an inline filter

Here is one similar to what I have

1 Like

Hm I may reconsider my sizing for cost and efficiency. Would you happen to know the proper piping for using the 3x 3x 1x tee.

Yea I got the bulkheads ima go with current culture just struggling with the connecting pieces of pvc

VIVOSUN 210GPH Submersible Pump(800L/H, 8W), Ultra Quiet Water Pump with 3.3ft High Lift, Fountain Pump with 5ft Power Cord, 2 Nozzles for Fish Tank, Pond, Aquarium, Statuary, Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQX9C9H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4TQuEbEZH9X31

This is the pump I use. It runs 24/7. I know some people run theirs on timers, I just like continuously circulating.
3" will work fine, it’s just overkill in my opinion. I’ve got 2 systems for veg, and 3 for flower.

2 Likes

I got the hydrofarm active aqua 800 it matched the amount of gallons and its adjustable so hopefully that works.

Also you dont need double tubes.
A simple straight through works great.
I’ll tag you into my journal. Just add a second pail in middle. I pump from pails to res though. I think direction of flow may not matter

1 Like

What do you mean proper piping? If it’s a schedule 40 fitting, use schedule 40 pipe. If it’s the thin schedule 20, you’ll need schedule 20 pipe (which I personally consider junk.)

2 Likes

So look at those pics, did i take a pic of the right fitting ill need to connect the tee piece to a 1in water line.

It will be scheduled 40 pvc standard pipe at local hardware. The 1 inch is also there.
Home depot has best selection near me for all parts.

1 Like

What is the barb fitting for? @ReeferRod

Im connecting my water line to my pvc pipe at a tee 3x 3x 1x or smaller if i decide to use smaller pvc.

I’m confused. What waterline? I’m not understanding something?

So from my control res there is going to be a 1in return line connected to a inline water pump then that will go to the top pvc pipe in the pic at the T intersection piece. So its gonna be black one inch rubber water line going into a 3by3by1 reducing tee PVC piece. Sorry if im confusing im a little high but also i dont really know plumber talk with these connecting pieces.

2 Likes

not a return line! the water will be going out that way