Rosin pressin. is this title long enough FFS?!

FUN!

I appreciate the help along the way too. I’m sure I would have wasted a lot more bud than I did without you and Bogleg to help guide.

I’ve been coming around on the Maui Wowie… its a more subtle go do something kind of high rather than the punch you in the face and sit the eff down for a while kind…I’ve got .5g of Maui Rosin pressed from flower and we’re gonna decarb it and make some chocolate bars for Easter. I tried to get some cute egg shaped or bunny shaped molds but the kitchen store in town is super lame and had nothing but duck shaped. Screw that.

1 Like

Okay so I got the donut bowl and I put some freshly squeezed Bruce banner in there I just harvested like 3 weeks ago now that it’s dry and stable on the RH, I boost it to 68 pre press.

Pressed 10g of top quality colas in a press press puck, bottle Teck style bagged it in 120u bags and squeezed it under fair but not heavy pressure at 180f.
It turned out well, I don’t seem to be able to follow the timelines people press for 3min and that’s just not enough to get enough rosin out for me I find maybe it’s because my humidity in my house is soooo low (20 RH) so I generally need to press for longer.
Maybe I need to run a humidfior in my room the day I press, hmm gonna think about that one.

The golden stuff was hard as heck to get it off the rosin collection pen as always for me, still haven’t seen any of my stuff turn into cake batter but I’ll be trying that more soon. When i collect like 3 or 4 presses in a jar to make it worth it otherwise its so little rosin in such a big jar.

Smoked it out of the new ceramic donut coil and it tastes like weed! Yay! Everything else I put in the magneto coil and the evolve coil just toasted it to taste like your almost smoking roachs lol…

How often do you guys clean your bowls/coils?

1 Like

I wipe my bowl out with a qtip every time or two I load it up. I like to keep it wiped out so I can enjoy the taste.

Sounds like a good pressing

1 Like

Have you tried preheating before full pressure? I saw that come up in a lot of pressing technique forums/videos. You you add about half pressure for 30-60 seconds, then every 10-15 seconds you add more pressure. As the rosin starts to release add a little more, after more rosin comes out add full pressure. As the rosin starts to flow it is being displaced lowering the pressure on the material. Not only is the time and temp important, but also consistent pressure.

To get the material off the collection tool I just heat the tool with a torch for a couple seconds. The rosin will slide right off the tool. For collecting off the paper, I put a cookie sheet on top of an ice pack to make a MacGyver type cold plate, most rosins scrape up easy like that. Even sappy stuff.

.5 is about 325mg of thc. How many bars are you making?

Three or four. We’re shooting for 80-100mg per bar.

1 Like

I still set a timer every time I press but I almost always go longer than the timer. I mainly use the timer so that I don’t get impatient and release the pressure too early. Some flower takes a while to get flowing and I’ve definitely jumped the gun and released the pressure earlier than I should have at times.

Once I get to the three minute mark I pretty much just make sure that I’m at full pressure and if I’m still seeing stuff flowing and bubbling I just let it keep going until it stops

2 Likes

I do pre heat but I didn’t know then I only add more pressure every 15sec…and then I release some once rosin starts flower?

I pressed this last night

185°F thru 115 micron bags. Not the best yields, pressing 10 grams at a time and pulling around a gram of rosin.

Stacked 3 pucks and pressed them at 210° and got 1.6 grams of this off that. I use a timer but judge when to stop by the flow now. I set the plates lightly until I heard sizzle then add a little more pressure and wait 30 seconds, if nothing is flowing I’ll repeat until I see it seeping, then and a little more and wait a minute then put a good press on it until it’s flowing then maintain full pressure until the flow slows. Other than timing between presses I will let it go until I feel it’s slowed enough or color changes.

1 Like

Question about pressing bubble hash and this might sound really stupid but does RH matter?

I think you want the RH as low as possible for hash and kief.

Pressed some bubble hash last night

Bagged in a 37 micron, pre-pressed then into a 160 micron. Tried directional flow with the parchment and pressed at 170°

First press

Second press I folded the puck and pressed at 200°

3 Likes

Well done.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m not sold on the double bagging or directional flow method. I read it helps prevent blowouts so I tried it so I didn’t waste my hash. I think I can go slow enough to not have a blowout and use the parchment paper folded how I normally do.

@Donkey you mentioned you make vaporizer carts a different way than with rosin - do you mind sharing more about that? I’ve got a few empty PAX Era pods ad I’d love to fill them

I take distillate from a QWET process and then purge that to get all the alcohol out. Then I add a few drops of flavor using pure terpenes to thin the distillate out to use in a cart. If it’s not thin enough to vape, I add more flavorless terpenes until it’s the right consistency for a cart. You can also winterize the rosin if you’re pressing, then do the same steps with the terps. If you just press and add PG/VG the waxes, fats, and lipids from the rosin can clog up the carts. My method does require the use of a vacuum chamber to purge the last bit of alcohol out. If using pressed rosin, it is about 65% thc. So taking a gram (1ml) cart with pressed rosin and pg/vg you actually have 650mg of thc. The method I follow is about 980mg in a 1ml cart. I could only find a couple photos of my stuff from a while back, I’m actually making some tonight. The distillate just finished in the vac chamber last night.

2 Likes

So I’ve just started with the goal of dabs and the ability to make edibles. My question is if I decarb a gram could I mix with 1 oz of Mct to make a tincture that’s approx 25 mg per ml.
Is there a point that it’s not enough of a carrier liquid to stay mixed. I would like to go half ounce of Mct with 1 gram wax should give me 50 mg per ml of Mct.
Done lots of qwet in the past but I’m moving to wax from pressing.

Thanks for the info on that. Can you go into more detail about the vacuum purge? I understand how to do a QWET extraction (and have a fifth of high test everclear in the daddy cabinet) but not hip to the whole vac purge thing.

I’m curious what hardware you are using - my wife loves these pax vapes and is willing to spend dispensary prices for cartridges. Something tells me I could see a 100% return on investment with the first use if I had to buy some hardware.

@Myfriendis410 not that long ago you posted a picture of some extract that you made and I think you said it was a QWET extraction.

What did you do to it besides the extraction? Did you purge it or just let the alcohol evaporate on its own?

1 Like

The vacuum purging is done with a vac chamber and a strong vacuum pump. This will bring it down to -28.5-29 pressure, extracting the remaining alcohol out safely without any heat. That photo I have. The dirty looking ones are just runs I did testing my methods with reclaim. You can also see the really clean test run. After about 48-72 hours the bubbles stop letting you know it’s done. Look up some videos on vacuum purging distillate, again I’d post but rules. The pump and canister I have was about $270 USD. A source is about $600 USD and is a two in one.