Roots getting air pruned at night?

So I have roots coming out of the bottom of my pots. Ebb and flow so not unusual… but switching to 12 on/off I’m noticing the roots are drying up at night when lights are off and they aren’t getting water like they use to. Basically 12 hours of air so they are diminishing. This is going to stunt them isn’t it?

Oh @garrigan62, this one is for you.

1 Like

@Juco I would adjust the ebb and flow schedule so they’re not dry. You never want them dry in an ebb and flow system.
@peachfuzz can advise farther. (Thanks! :grin:)

2 Likes

You want to at least have your table flood twice during the night … maybe once after 3 hours of lights out and once 3 hours before lights on… :wink:
But you definitely dont want a bunch of dead roots in the system… it probably wouldn’t hurt to add hydroguard to your regimen if your not all ready… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yes and or die. You need to get them into way bigger pots a.s.a.p.
When you do take your fingers and message the roots, loosen them up and water them when done. Ok

2 Likes

Even when the lights are off?

I’m using advanced nutes… I’ll look into hydroguard

Yes even during lights off. Why is this a concern that it runs during lights off?
If your roots aren’t wet, they’re not thriving. If they’re not thriving, they’re being stunted, or dying. @Juco

1 Like

Anything special for transplanting with hydroton? Guessing the roots will keep most of the pebbles together?what if I sat the pots on top of a smart pot full of hydroton?

I defer to @peachfuzz for hydro transplanting. I’ll read his response for next time.

1 Like

Ok, I always thought you weren’t suppose to water at night but I guess that doesn’t apply to ever grow method, thanks for your help!

1 Like

I wish there was a way to give more than one like on a post such as HOW TRUE YOUR IS ! So many issues arise and I see it all over the site from using too small a container and expecting miracles, or for that matter , great growth. Smh want a big healthy bushy plant with plenty of tops then give it room to grow. Whatever is seen above the soil is also what’s underneath it. It’s an easy concept. Just argued with a very good friend over the container , plant size issue and was very disappointed to learn that he’s more hardheaded than I once was and still frustrated with his stunted growth and nute issues. Lmao.

yeah, i m all for a bigger container. i thought they were a bit small… was going to transplant but wasnt sure about transplanting with 100%hydroton. didnt want to screw them up and the roots are growing out of the holes (active aqua 9x9 pots) and they dont seem like they are getting root bound…so i let them be. would setting the pots on top of some smart pots full of hydroton be enough to get by this round? or how about setting the pots in an empty smart pot and put just a bit of hydroton on the sides?