Roots coming through in veg

Here is a Peanut Butter x Caramel photo at 46 days old. I haven’t had roots come through a pot this early so I’m not quite sure how to proceed. I remove runoff so they won’t stay wet, but I don’t want them to dry up either.

The overall pic is before feeding so she’s droopy. Then I went for the runoff and found the roots. Ph out = 6.6 and ppm 1170.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

3 Likes

What size pots are you in?

5 gallon

1 Like

Its normal to see the roots come thru the fabric a little. You need to remove the water collected below so the roots don’t have water there. Eventually they will rot and cause you bigger problems.

I use the fact that they can go through to do a simple transplant sometimes. Just set it in a bigger pot and it will keep on rooting.

Setting in stagnant water they will grow fungus and die.
So you have to remove the water. Bigger trays would help a lot so it can evaporate.

3 Likes

Ive got 5 pb crosses going in 5 gal so thats why i was wondering… ive never had roots pop out that much though…

1 Like

That was going to be my suggestion is setting the 5 gallon into a larger container with soil

1 Like

Dang @Spiney_norman @ChittyChittyBangin - you all think I should put that sucker in 10 gal and move on? @Graysin is to blame :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Id even go as far as a tub with a few inches of soil below it

2 Likes

All of graysins are tied down atm…

2 Likes

I think just get a bigger tray below it and keep it dry underneath. Those roots are just growing there because its dark and wet. But they will eventually start to rot in that environment below the grow bag.

2 Likes

3 Likes

You think i need bigger @Spiney_norman ?

The one just above is fine. Enough room to remove the run-off and then it dries out.
@SandyC has trays that pretty much seal the lower are below the grow bag. Its making a dark wet area that is growing too much of a root mass. Without air flow and oxygen it is gonna form root rot soon.

What will happen with a bigger tray @Spiney_norman , will they grow back up into the soil? It can’t be good to dry up either, right? I’m inclined to go for a bigger pot or tub for this one so the roots stay in soil. Is that wrong headed, I’ve got 8-10 weeks to go once I flip…?

Quick edit: super psyched to have such a heathy root structure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your grow bags are plenty big enough at 5 gallons. You have very good risers for them too. The only issue you have is below the grow bag you have water and darkness. Get some larger plant trays and replace the ones you have. Remove the roots that have grown underneath. Don’t worry about shocking the plant. It wont hurt is a bit. It will encourage further rooting in the soil.
And after you water remove the drainage collected in the trays.
You are doing great.

2 Likes

Seconded. She won’t skip a beat.

1 Like