Root Zone Wave Maker

Does anyone know of a wave maker gentle enough for root zone applications? Not that i need one persay but id like to complicate my grow even more :wink:

6 Likes

Hehe. I’ve heard of growers putting air stones in their soil grows to oxygenate the soil. Normal wet/dry cycles are sufficient.

What do you mean by “wave maker”? Never heard of it.

5 Likes

Im not a hydro guy but that was funny!

3 Likes

Theyre just little fans that aggitate the water to keep the nutrients from settling and preventing pH hotspots. Mostly see em used for keeping nutrient tanks mixed. But it also turns and dwc into a solo rdwc persay by continuously moving the water and increasing oxygen levels

4 Likes

@Ebb im starting a little experiment myself… going to get some goldfish and eventually add some plants, ect. Im starting a worm farm also…

3 Likes

Whats that stone you have going there?

1 Like

@Ebb wave makers are cool, but cheaper to just get a submersible pump and have it attached to the side at the bottom to blow across and keep everything mixed and moving.

@ChittyChittyBangin I tried to keep goldfish in the res tank for my autopot system and found it very hard to maintain ph levels in a natural way that won’t harm the fish. Have found it much easier to just use 1/4-1/3 fish tank water to 2/3-3/4 water and go from there when I feed. When I clean the tank put all the fish crap into my compost instead.
Just my experience and what I learned from my experiment. Not trying to discourage you, just a heads up about the ph issue I ran into.

3 Likes

@ChittyChittyBangin you starting your own fishshit farm. Nice lol. Ive been thinking about getting a worm composter or building my own for worm teas

1 Like

@The_Cannabowlist ive considered that. Amazon has x4 little wave makers for like 25$ though. Giving me extras to do use in other applications. Theyre like 220 gph which is fairly high imo for a 27 gal tote holding 10gal. Im worried itll be too much turbulence for the roots.

1 Like

1 Like

@Ebb thats an air stone. I added another one. Eventually ill add some goldfish, heater, and filter to it… im tired of hauling 5 gallon buckets :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@ChittyChittyBangin i was wondering the type of airstone. Fully submersible pump that draws air through a hose?

1 Like

Im just looking for a little boost. My brother started his own worm farm and the results are amazing ,not to mention the waste it cuts down own. Might even get into slinging the extras :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@Ebb i went to the pet supply store and bought and air pump and hose. The pump is external and has two ports that pump air to the stones.

1 Like

Im in hydro and use a ton of bios in my mix. Currently using Fox Farm Big Bloom which is pretty much just worm castings, and bat poop and it costs a ton. Thinking about trying my hand at making my own with castings and chicken :chicken: :poop:

1 Like

Sweet. That hose is huge :slight_smile:

My bro has chickens too and is also going to using it only downfall is it has to cook for a good while… theres a water hose in that pic too hahahahha

1 Like

Lmao, thats probably it. I seen that bigger hose and the other line and it threw me off. Im thinking this was some overly complicated airpump/stone combination drawing air externally while underwater. Was like wth lol

1 Like

Wouldn’t a wave make just get bound up? What about a circulation pump instead.

3 Likes

No different that a pump imo. All its doing is moving water to keep the sediment from settling.

1 Like