Root bounding in 33 liter pots

A question from a fellow grower:

I’ve had a couple issues with these two strains looking at some advice. Blue dream and super lemon haze I’m getting bad root bounding in indoor with 33litre pots. Any advice with this strain or is it just the strain and I should change ?

Im finding that the watering is over flowing as the soil it rock hard and the roots have taken over. When I finish a cycle I open the pot sock up and check the roots and they are very dense.

I haven’t noticed this with other strains. Also a very bad case of spider mite with these two strains.

Thanks in advance

• Strain: blue dream/ super lemon haze

• Type (fem/auto/reg): auto

• Climate (indoor/outdoor): indoor

• Medium (soil/hydro/details): coco perlite

• pH of runoff or solution in reservoir: 5.4

• Nutrient mix strength (EC/TDS): 2.2ec

• Light type & schedule: 12 on and off 600w 1.5 lights per pot

• Temperatures day & night: day 33c night 10c

• Humidity day & night: 54 day night 15

• Ventilation: very good air flow and exhaust

• AC: yes when needed

• Humidifier: not using

• De-humidifier: not using

• Co2: not using

Pictures would definitely help out. An auto becoming root bound in an 8.7gal pot is more then likely not your problem. Just at a quick glance, the ph is way to low. I would keep it more towards the 5.8 to 6.0 mark.

1 Like

I have one blue dream outdoors in a growbag and one in the greenhouse in the ground. The greenhouse plant is well over 10 ft tall…the bag plant is in 15 gallon bag (so about 60ltre) and is a monster also…I would use bigger bag outdoors another time as her roots are cramped for space.
Lemon haze is on my list for next year outdoors, but I understand she is quite large too so will go directly in the ground.

You have two strains that both produce monsters. Maybe shorter vegetation for smaller plants would help?

2 Likes

Lol I got a blue dream that’s huge also she in a 5 gal pot and stands over 5 ft tall from top of soil and is still growing after 3 weeks of flip maybe 4

1 Like

Yup. Agreed on that. The girls outdoors started to stretch around July 17, and have just recently in the last few days have started to settle down on upward growth. Made for some issues in the greenhouse space for sure.

Agree with @imSICKkid pH is low but if those temps are right it’s getting 91 during the day and 50 at night. Thats a pretty extreme fluctuation in temp. On the high end of to high and the extreme low end of low. That plant is like Rocky the first time he fights Apollo. It’s getting beat up. If it’s in flower with those temps and fluctuations it’s probably going to hermy anyway. That alone is going to cause some real problems.