Root aphids control

So I spoke with a friend about my root aphids and he suggested Botanigard WP. I have now experience with is product and have not seen it referenced on this site.

***I also found this, but I am not sure, it is quite involved and seems like a lot of chemicals. Could you folks with greater experience help?

I would prefer to use diatomaceous earth over chemical pesticides.

I have and use DE. These buggers are in the soil. I don’t see any on the plants themselves.

I have also tried Mosquito Bits.

My bad. I had read somewhere that it was good for root aphids too.

Aphids yes. I guess root aphids are different. IDK anything about bugs.

1 Like

One word. Nematodes.

3 Likes

When you originally got your soil where from?

Have ypu read something like this in its entirety ?

I always find that I missed something or even disregarded something that was the answer

1 Like

No, but I will today!

I bought the soil from the only respected place around.

I do think that it was contaminated when I bought it.

1 Like

Had to have been
Really read that I did and I’m telling you this article will help you
They can stay around for many grow cycles indoors
I hadn’t been aware of the problem they really are

1 Like

I was googling and found this… involved.

1 Like

Yes I read that too and idk …
I think you will have to sterilize everything after this grow anyway so that may be a last resort

I read in that other article ypu can use spinosad as a soil drench
I really like @oldmarine idea of the nematodes
He’s having success with them and they may help you

I say this because any method of soil drench you use will most likely not get under the root ball but living organisms trying to eat will

2 Likes

I may use the Botanigard WPto knock them down, and then supplement with Stratiolaelaps scimitus (formerly Hypoaspis miles).

Idk.

1 Like

I had a bad root aphid issue, to the extent I cleared a 8x4 with the exception of 1 clone. That 1 clone I did a dr zymes root drench, every other day for 5 applications. Also did foliar spray before lights out. She made it and is currently in her 48 hour dark period, Ill post pics later.

Point being its feasible to contain or get rid of them, but there was no way I could do soil drenches on that many plants.

Now, I use beneficial nematodes as a preventative. And they look to do the job, I am running full organics indoor during heat of the summer, and I have a rare fungus gnat or two. I would expect to see a lot given the funk of my medium.

3 Likes

I contacted the manufacturer of Botanigard 22WP. This is their response.

I have been going through this problem as well Ive had so much rain where I am and out of nowhere these suckers just popped up. I could not find the original post to give them credit for this spray that i have used and i absolutely love it now. It is 1 cup of veg oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronners soap ( they sell it at target in the beauty section). Cover that shake it and then add 2 teaspoons to a quart of water and spray on the affected areas.
I lost one of my ladies to them and I notice my other 2 had some i made this spray and watched them come right off and i will be washing them tomorrow and then re spraying it was good to know i could save them unlike the other one but they are so close to harvest i cant lose another.
Good luck with your problem its not always easy getting rid of bugs ive learned the hard way

1 Like

Thanks. Mine are all in the soil. I don’t see any on my plants…

Lucky you! it might work in the soil im not sure though some people have told me chili powder or cayenne pepper… I had that on the top of my soil because it kept the cats away from my outdoor and once I stopped boom issues with nasty bugs. good luck to you!!