Room size to light ratio question

Hello everyone… i have a question .last year i built a 4 X 7 X 7 grow room and grew 4 white widow and 2 blueberry plants under cfls. I just upgraded my lights to 2 600 watt hid. My question is how many plants should go under each light. I heard i will get about the same yeild with. 3 plants as i would with 6 plants under the same light. I was planning on growing 12 plants (state maximum) will the 2 600 watt hps be enough or should i invest in another light? Thanks in advance

You need a minimum of 1400 watts of lights to cover all your grow space area , so invest in another HID light, you’ll be happy and so your plants :laughing:.

However, HID lights produce much more heat than CFL., so vented hood are a must with appropiate ventilation and exhaust system. Even if you decide to stick with 2 HID lights. That’s more investement.

Hoping that’s helping you @McLovin, do not hesitate to ask more questions if you need to :grinning:

~Al :innocent: :v:

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I actually have 6 white widow in 2nd week of flowering stage right now under the 2 600 watt hps.They all seem to be loving the lights.just got my california dream in the mail yesterday hope to start veg soon with them. I am a new grower . The California dream will be my 3rd grow. So i am sure i will annoy everyone with lots of questions. Definitely going to get another hid and exhaust before i start my next grow. Thanks again

2 Likes

You’re welcome :innocent:

~Al :v: :innocent:

The formula is 50w of light per square foot, which is the 1400w @Niala suggested.

1 Like

@Niala @Matthew420 thank you both.
I have “HIGH” hopes for my next grow.

2 Likes

You’re welcome @McLoving

1 Like

Ok so i will have 3 600 watt mh/hps in my grow room. My question is … Will i get the same yeild from 6 plants as i would growing 9 plants. Using the same amount of watts per square foot?

1 Like

Do not forget that light penetration is one of the most important key for a high yielding , so, more crowded is your growing space, more lumens, more light you’ll needed

1 Like

How far away should the tops of my plants be from my 2 600 watt hps… i have heard as low as 16 inces to 4 feet… thats a huge difference . I had them at 18 inches but i started to get heat stress so i now have them at 24 inches. I use 2 ipower 600 watt hps with standard wing reflectors . 18 inch fan blowing across the tops of plants. No exhaust temps between 68 during dark hours and 78 during light
And my lights are wing to wing . Should i spread them out. Thanks

@McLovin just wondering how your California Dream grow is going… I started two CD plants a few weeks ago and would like to know what to expect…