ROIE-680 running to hot?

I’m running an ROIE-680 for the first time this grow and its perfect for my 4x4, it basically fits wall to wall. My issue is it came with no instructions on mounting height from plants or when to use what percentage of the light. It ranges from 40-100 in 20% increments. I’m currently in week 3 of flower and I have been fighting the temperature in the tent the whole grow. I switched to 100% last week and now my temps are at high 80s daily. If I open the door I can get it down to mid 80s. I have an exhaust fan blowing into the same room (window ac vent kit will be here tomorrow) and a vent attached to my homes ac vent directly blowing into the tent, an intake fan pulling air from the room in and two fans inside to keep the air moving. So far this setup has not caused any herms thankfully but I still feel like the tent is excessively hot. I even tried blowing the exhaust out of the window today and I could not get it below 85, my house ac is at 78 max. Should I be running the light at a lower percentage? Do I need an AC unit in the tent? I know venting into the room isn’t helping but again I tried venting outside and it still did not help. I think this light just runs extremely hot and I need to cool the whole tent down inside somehow? Any thoughts?

2 Likes

You can try turning the light down and moving it closer to the plants. I have a 625w true power i run it 100% during flower at like 22-24 inches but if I have heat issues I might turn it down 80% drop it to 18-20 inches… now I haven’t tried this but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work you prolly won’t lose ppfd because you lower the light even though you turned it down. Seems logical to me anyway :thinking:

2 Likes

I turned it down to 80% and I’m down about 4-5 degrees. My only issue with turning it down is that it would provide less light to the plants? I feel like running the light at less than 100% almost defeats the purpose of buying a good light. I’ll be receiving a window vent kit tomorrow and I’ll install that then bump it back to 100%. Hopefully closing everything up and sending stale air out of the room gets me down lower. Thank you for the advice.

3 Likes

Damn my scorpion diablo.is full power about 7 inches aaay from my tallest buds lol. I can keep the room in the low to mid 70s tho

2 Likes

Do like my neighbor dod he has a piece of 3 inch flex tube tuns along floor behind his computer desk that he set over the ac vent and pumps some cold i nto the tent to keep it at a reasonable temp. Works ok for now summer is not here quite yet

2 Likes

Finding a better way to cool your tent is better than turning it down of course. What helps me keep my room cool is to exhaust your tents out of the room outside preferably but even into another room will be better than having the hot air recirculating back into the tent

1 Like

I vent one room over with a large window unit.

2 Likes

In bring the a/c back to the tent room

2 Likes

@Mark0427 it doesn’t decarb your buds being that close lol the ppfd at that distance has to be like 1800 in spots if not more I haven’t really looked at the scorpion ppfd

2 Likes

I think the scorpions are made to run real close to the canopy

2 Likes

I think that window kit will help you with the temps, I just moved so I’m not sure what summer is going to do in my room i run three tents in there lol I know it got though in the old house in summer.

2 Likes

I haven’t checked out the scorpion but that just sounds close I just got my big light in January so I’m still trying to figure it out with the move I don’t even have anything under it now

2 Likes

In veg having the light on half power was yellowing the leaves. I had to have tge switch turned on where the light just flicked on at lowest setting for the first 3 weeks of plant life. Now i have it dimmed back down some not full poer it is about 60% or so. The light is stupid bright. I see why they gave free glasses with the loght now lol. Bad ass glasses too i might add. Just noticed yesterday they want 60 bucks for the damn glasses too.

2 Likes

The scorpion is 600+w i believe and you said 7" I just thought wow that’s close. I’ve only grown one round under my new light and I’m afraid of the power it’s stupid bright :sun_with_face: I asked spider farmer for suggestions and they said as long as the temp at the canopy didn’t exceed 95°f it won’t burn the plants. I actually questioned their answer I’ve never used temperature to adjust height but they insisted that it wouldn’t burn the plants. I haven’t had any plants under it since I asked em so haven’t tried their method but I will experiment with it. That’s why I asked you when you said 7" it was a serious question because I’m learning how to setup my light and I have seen you around so I know you give good advice and know what you’re talking about

1 Like

Sorry for changing the subject on your thread @Scarecrow1g it’s still about lights. I can take it over to mine if you want me to

1 Like

I got the scorp diablo which says its 650w it didnt burn or bleach the buds that are close but it would fry the leaves in veg dont make sense to me but hey it works lol.

2 Likes

I had same issue last grow.

Solution was to vent outside and keep house at 70f during day. Cost a ton to do. Since I am not home during most the day it was a waste of money to cool.

This grow. Still vented outside but I run my lights from 7pm to 7am and lights out during day. I have 0 issues with heat now. At night they may get to 80f tops. During day it stays around 70f without homes ac on at all. Maybe have to run house ac when outside temps get above 80f

3 Likes

Several things here can help you.

1. Your light should hit recommended dli for cannabis on 12 hour schedule at roughly 80%. More light will produce more weight, but the increase will be very small in comparison to amount of extra power.

2. In order to get proper leaf surface temperature you would likely want to run your canopy temps in low 80’s with that light anyway. So you are not too far off from ideal. Just try to keep rh in line proper vapor pressure deficit.

3. Having ac duct into tent is great when its running, not so great when it’s not running. You may actually be better off with traditional intake circulating air from room.

What i didn’t see, what are you running for exhaust in the tent to remove air?

I have a 6 inch Vivisun fan outside of the tent and a carbon filter inside the tent. I just vented it outside today and so far no temp difference than when I vented into the same room.

Do you have a picture of how your fan and filter are setup? Long lengths of duct and bends will reduce amount of air your fan moves quite a bit. Depending on size and quality of your filter may be considerable static load on fan too. Have you tried removing filter and seeing what temps do?