Rockwool cubes how to use them first time rockwool user help needed

I used jiffy pots 100% germination
So i think i can make this work for me i like them better in Theory
It said 10 seconds soking i did 5 minutes
To make sure ph stayed at 5.5
Thank you for the info if it doesnt work 24 hours it shall be

1 Like

Hi,

Can someone tell me if she is a gonna. The seed sprouted in a day as the first pic shows but today she doesn’t look good at all. the stem is limp and bent and the first leaves have no colour. she doesnt look good at all, any chance of a recovery here if given time. i put it under light and it seemed to make it worse :frowning:

any info would be of great use. its been so long between grows im not sure what went wrong ???:frowning:

@Brian091180 im still a real amateur but i germinated half of my plants in rock wool and it worked wonders, i soaked the rockwool in ph 5.5 water for ten minutes then drained then soaked again for another ten minutes. I had them on a saucer under a light and the first one dried up and completly screwed the root so i grabbed the others and put them in the jiffy window sill greenhouse (looks like youve got one aswell, the lid in your photos) then filled bottom about 1 cm full with ph 5.5 water and wham!!! Good to go bro!! Kept them warm and moist as!

dont let them dry bro, looks like you got that under control anyway so you should be sweet :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Bushgrower,

thanks for the reply :slight_smile: Im used to them bursting out like your photo. though Ive used all sorts of methods. It’s winter here not that cold but about 18 degrees in the house so I started it by leaving it on the internet modem for warmth. I’m having another crack at another one, cos i doubt this one will recover. the cubes are wet as u saw, im just wondering if it was too wet??? i might make an adjustment and put this second one a bit deeper. room temperature is an issue here atm but if i can get it to your pic then i know how to do the rest, how deep did you put the seed? thanks

hey nitty i had all my seeds at different depths and it didnt seem to matter as long as theres coverage up top to simulate darkness of natural soil and not to deep down where they might drown, but like i said earlier, i am an absolute novice so dont take what i say as gospel, i am a first time grower with my plants all at about a month now, i had all mine germinating in my wardrobe under a 400w mh bulb and ran it 24/7 for a week after germination then flipped to 18/6
temp at plant was about 27,

good luck :slight_smile:

My advise on using rock wool is do not squeeze it , to get rid of execess water .place one drie paper towels . if you squeeze it crushes it then it has a tendency to drown the seed or end up damping off … Ever notice once wetted and squeezed it never comes back to full size .? Hammer

1 Like

I’d wait a few days before I worried.

thanks for the advice peeps, my mum is saying give it time. i just have less patients haha the second one i put a little deeper. i’ll get rid of the layer of water at the base of the cube, maybe im over soaking it. i have a layer of cling wrap over the top with holes punched threw it. i hope i get it right, i only have 8 seeds left:sweat: i’ll update as i go. thanks again

How many days did it take to sprout my jiffy pots one day i could see it was happening lol

1 Like

Ok so I am a first time grower with a dwc system! I have good success with starting my seeds out in rock wool cubes in my dwc!

2 Likes

Where did you get that DWC bucket i love it

eBay lol. I just move those right into a 6" pot before the roots start mixing together!

1 Like

How much air does it take? Like how bubbly does it need to be. I made one and thought it wasn’t bubbling enough so I scrapped and went dirt

1 Like

I am running a 9" spider air stone in it and I have plenty of movement in the water!

1 Like

I started 3 in dirt and moved them to hydro after the move it was a no brainier for me. I started the ones in the pics! So far no issues and it is going exceptionally well! Here is a pic of those 3

4 Likes

Hmmm🤔 Looks scrogTastic

1 Like

Thanks I just set that up yesterday.

2 Likes

@Salt do you actually start your seeds from scratch in rock wool in the DWC?

No! I start out in a cup of water for about 30 hours and then drop them in the rock wool in a dwc! I soak the rock wool in water with about a 5.5 ph value the same time I am soaking the seeds! My dwc is at about 5.5 also! I have had really good results.

2 Likes

Salt looking good :grin: as to your PH 5.8 is normally considered. the sweet spot in hydro .But acceptable ranges is 5.5-6.2 i start out 6.1 then let it drift down .the reason is so the plant can absorb a broader range of nutes . Hammer

2 Likes