Robmin1973 grow 2018

Ty for the information very useful trying to make ty long enough to post lol

Dbrn32 ty for pointing me in the right direction.

So for my next flip flop, I was thinking of doing photos instead of autos. Seems like id have more time to correct problems and i want to try cloning. Figure i can try a beginner strain to start.

Def joining this forum has really helped me thx all!

4 Likes

@Robmin1973
Using the @ sign in front of someone’s name will notify them to your post.

@dbrn32

1 Like

Still have to wait til feb 8th to click go on my order. Cant wait

1 Like

I would be a proponent of photos over autos as well.

The one thing I want to caution you about eBay, is that you’re not getting a Chinese knock off. Not that good lights don’t come from China, because they can. But there have been a couple of pcb boards that claim 561c s6 bin diodes that haven’t matched up in sphere testing. I’m sure you can find people selling the hlg boards on eBay, just make sure that’s what you’re getting.

The dimming is a function of the driver. All hlg kits are sold with meanwell drivers, the same drivers you can source on your own. They are available multiple ways, but you would be looking at the ones that end in a or b. The a has built in current adjustment that will allow you to go from 100% output down to 50% output. Zero extra parts or work. You simply remove rubber plug, insert screwdriver, and turn. The b comes with leads to hook up your own dimmer. The easiest and most common is 100k potentiometer. But they will also dim via a 0-10v signal or pwm. If you go with the hlg-600, I think that model is rated for dim to zero, but I haven’t checked. The smaller ones I put 10k resistor in as they’re not rated dim to off. But that allows you to dim from 10% to 100%.

1 Like

You hlg 600 would veg and bloom a 5x5 ten?t? Maybe have another 2x2 for seedling and clones.

2 Likes

Yessir, 3000k do the whole 9 yards. So you’re getting away from the tent with separate areas? Not a bad idea to go with two separate tents.

If you’re planning on flowering 4 large plants at at time, I would maybe suggest going with a 3x3 over a 2x2. Reason being is that you’ll have a ton of room in the 5x5. With the fastest strains flowering in about 8 weeks and having another week or so of transition, that gives you a lot of time in between. You could use that time to veg your clones out pretty good if you have the space. Then when you harvest your 5x5, you will be that much closer or even ready to put those clones into flower.

Up to you either way.

4 Likes

Listen to these guys and gals as they are helpful to the end. I just ordered qb boards, heatsinks and now waiting on them to arrive. Putting together the kits to save the extra money to put towards other stuff you will need along the way is not a bad idea but if you have the money to get it assembled from them do so by all means. Here’s a pic of the kit I bought and put together but I’m waiting on the driver to arrive which should be in a day or two

But your approach is great and by you asking these questions you’ll cut out a lot of unneccesary spending that a lot of growers do in the beginning.

3 Likes

Well after much consideration, I believe I have reached my final beginning purchase list for my new grow tents.

Grow tents:
$104.99 VIVOSUN 48"x48"x80" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 4’ x4’
$79.99 VIVOSUN 48"x24"x60" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2’x4’
Total: $184.98(saved money here downgrading my tent quality)

Lightning:
$723.00 USD Horticulture Lighting Group HLG-600H Quantum Board LED Kit 3000k(extra $49 to assemble and $20 if i want a dimmer nob)
$198.00 2x HLG 65 Quantum Board LED Grow Lamp Veg & Bloom 4000K
OMNIHIL DC Barrel Plug Power Splitter 5.5x2.1mm, 1 Female to 2 Male Jack
Will need to find a 2.1mm x 5.5mm dc y splitter.
Total: $990.00(includes assembly and dimmer nob installation)

exhaust fans, ducting and carbon filter:
$59.99 VIVOSUN 6 Inch 440 CFM Duct Inline Fan with Variable Speed Controller
$40.00 2x VIVOSUN 6 inch Inline Duct Booster Fan 240 CFM, Low Noise & Extra Long 5.5’ Grounded Power Cord
$23.00 2x Comfort Zone 6 Inch Clip-On Fan
$32.36 2x Deflecto Aluminum Duct, Semi Ridgid, Flexible, 6" x 8’, Silver (A068/4-A)
$59.99 VIVOSUN 6 Inch Air Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal for Inline Fan, Pre-filter Included, Reversible Flange
Total: $215.34(will have to get bigger fans for the larger tent in the future)

Grow nutrients:
$37.47 General Hydroponics General Organics Go Box

Soil mix:
$35.77 Viagrow 4 cu. Ft. Perlite
$31.87 GROW!T Premium Coco Coir , Loose 1.5 Cubic Foot Bag
$23.35 Organic Coco Coir Growing Medium Coconut Fiber Potting Soil 11-lb
$57.98 (2) Foxfarm FX14000 Ocean Forest Garden Potting Soil Bags 6.3-6.8 pH | 3 Cu Ft
$21.00 3x Miniature Fairy Garden Mini River Rock
Total: $169.97

Seedling and cloning:
$17.00 1020 Plant Trays without holes, 10 pack
$32.00 4x Propagation Dome 11 in. Dome PLT B004
$13.64 HydroDynamics Clonex Rooting Gel, 100 ml
$15.41 General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Replacement Plugs 50 count
Total: $78.05

Other stuff:
$29.00 2x APC P6GC 6 Outlet/120V Power-Saving Timer Essential SurgeArrest, 3 foot cord
$18.99 LeaningTech Digital PH-2011 Meter + TDS-966 Water Quality Purity TDS Tester Electrolytic Device Testing 0-9999 PPM for Aquarium Pool Water
$9.62 Fiskars 5 Inch Titanium Micro-Tip Easy Action Scissors
$13.99 VIVOSUN 5-Pack 7 Gallon Plant Grow Bags, Premium Series Thichkened Non-woven Aeration Fabric PotWinnerEco Cell Phone Magnifier Universal Optical 65X Zoom Cell Phone LED $7.69 Telescope Camera Clip Microscopes w/Handles - Reinforced Weight Capacity & Extremely Durable (Black)
$10.99 Vivaplex, 4, Large, 24 oz, Sturdy, Empty, Plastic Spray Bottles, with Black Trigger Sprayers
$36.00 4x ThermoPro TP50 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Humidity Monitor with Temperature Humidity Gauge
$8.18 General Hydroponics GH1514 General Hydroponics Ph Control Kit
$36.00 3x Bug Shield Fan Intake/Exhaust Screen, 6"
Total: $170.46

Grand Total: $1846.00

There was alot of changes since my first thought of starting a grow tent. I went from buying a higher quality led light from Optic LED to the quantum boards from HLG. I believe this change will benefit me. I also scaled back a little bit on the tent size. The secret jardin 5x5 was so big i was going to have space problems in my room so I went with the 4x4.

Im still up in the air about the nutrients and soil mixture. Another two weeks and I am all in.

Thx Rob

6 Likes

under my 2k budget save the last rest for seeds.

2 Likes

after everything is setup I will decide to buy a heater, ac unit and humidifier.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. A lot of the stuff you can see if you need later. You’re off to a great start with your set up! I’ve bought a lot of different things that I thought I needed but never used more than once or twice. I wish I would have talked to and found this site before I purchased anything lol.

1 Like

You’re starting way above where most of us do. And while it seems like it’s a lot of money, I see very few items if any that you’ll be unhappy with and buying again. When I look back on what I’ve spent over the years, it’s far more than that.

2 Likes

that was my goal @dbrn32 to get the right setup when i can rather than cutting corners. If I really hate this then you guys will have a great opportunity to buy used stuff lol.

3 Likes

i was definitely falling for all the advertisement and price points. When you don’t have an expereienced person guiding you, you really can’t tell what is quality with everyone saying we got this and that. Even the vids with comparisons only lock you into what your looking at. I was watching a vid about the Optic LED i was going to buy and the guy said it didn’t work well at all.

3 Likes

They are fair, probably a lot better than most of the alternatives. You also have to beware of light snob types, they exist. You’re doing better in performance going this route though.

2 Likes

ha light snob, i cud see that. Like the guy that always has a better story!

You know I normally like to support the mom and pop shop, so I took a look at their prices and WOW they are a ton higher. Felt bad walking out without buying anything. Wonder how those guys stay in business. I noticed a lot of the stuff I’m buying are from shops around the country. Guess they sell out the warehouse and also have store fronts. The tech seemed top of the line expensive also, prob why i just left after a walk around.

2 Likes

The only thing else I see you should get is a filter for your intake fan. I think some just use panty hose, but you will be surprised at how much dust and pet hair this filter will trap before being sucked into your tent.
https://www.amazon.com/GrowBright-Double-Layer-Inch-Filter/dp/B01BIDJHA6?tag=greenrel-20

The other thing you might want to consider is a better PH/PPM meter.
That cheap POS used to piss me off so bad. I had to check the calibration on it every time I used it. It was a real pain. Accurate PH readings are one of the most important things you need for a healthy grow.

2 Likes

Agreed and i did add the filters. I saw them on your list. Any recommendation for ph meter?

1 Like

Definitely!

These guys know a lot better than I about a lot of the little tools you’ll need and stuff like that. So definitely keep an open mind when you’re shopping. I can agree with @Rugar89 about the meter. I used a really cheap one for a long time and by. Then I bought the $40 or so apera and it works much better. And I’m really hard on stuff like that.

I also prefer to supplement local businesses. But it’s kind of a niche market, so it’s not like you have a hydro shop on every corner. There’s 3 within an hour of me. The closest one is fair. I pop in a couple times a year for random stuff, even when I don’t really need it. The people there are nice, generally helpful, and they have a pretty good idea of what you’re doing without you having to say it. The one thing I will say, is that in a pinch they’re your best resource. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to do something like purchase your nutrients from them.

On top of building a relationship with them, nutrients can be kind of tricky buying. They have limited shelf life usually. So you want to make sure that $5-10 your saving online isn’t for something at or near expiration date. Also, the containers can be damaged in shipping. So buying locally can add piece of mind there.

Another thing, is that they always get samples! I can’t even recall the free stuff I’ve gotten from them.