Reusing supermarket jars?

While I personally wouldn’t use this for my own long term storage, what are the collective thoughts on gifting weed in old jam/salsa/pickle jars that have been thoroughly cleaned? There’s always a little bit of remaining aroma lingering in the lid seal, but running through the dishwasher after a long soak seems to help quite a bit. I like the idea of reuse but don’t want to stink my terps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Someone give me a jar of weed I won’t care what kind of jar it is. No problems as long as they are food grade and didn’t have pesticides or some crap in them.

4 Likes

If you wash them thoroughly then leave the lid off for a week or two it’ll have no smell. Well that goes for spaghetti sauce jars. I’ve been saving them and that seems to work on them.

4 Likes

Good advice, thanks!

A tip for those of you who use a lot of active dry yeast AND who make/use tincture - those amber colored yeast jars are great for keeping tincture in bulk before you put them in dropper bottles.Or for gifting tincture.

3 Likes

I was just going to post about yeast jars! I use them as my personal stash jars.

3 Likes

I’ve found that acidic foods like salsa/pasta sauce seem to invade the tops of the jars and leave a residual smell if you just use soap and water.
Try bleaching them first.

That being said. I buy a lot of mason jars. What’s another $1…

1 Like

Rinse out with citric acid to remove odors & oily residue.

2 Likes

I’ve been able to reuse olive oil jugs as juice/iced tea containers after thoroughly washing with dish soap, then using a plain citric acid solution to rinse-rinse-rinse everything thoroughly.

2 Likes

I’m not worried about saving the buck. i just like to reuse where possible. Even glass, which is fully recyclable, takes a lot of energy to return to another jar or bottle. That’s why they keep the order of reduce, reuse, recycle. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not worried about saving $, either…just saving the planet. Also, when you live/work in the middle of nowhere, you reuse everything, b/c it’s very inconvenient to get new things, especially in a pinch.

2 Likes