Retirement Countdown Grow

I am so bad at sexing plants. If u can, pls keep posting pics as u figure it out. I have to learn!

1 Like

Will do! This is totally new for me. ImSICKkid has been coaching me through it. But the last one I figured out in my own, it was quite obvious. And I swear I just looked at that plant yesterday and it wasn’t showing any sex. I put the ones starting to show sex to the left of the room and the ones that weren’t on the right. Just took a look at the ones on the right side to see if any had matured and the balls were staring me down!

4 Likes

Lol that coco grows some beast of plants

4 Likes

I’m loving it so far!!

3 Likes

Me too I just have to not veg them as long as I did in soil. They grow like crazy

3 Likes

That’s what I’m worried about right now, finding my females while I can still fit them under their screens! :rofl:. They’re taking off like crazy!

4 Likes

Starting to see small hairs coming out of what I am assuming is a calyx. Hard to get good pics of them, but I am also assuming this is female??

6 Likes

I don’t live dangerously enough to say for sure yet. But I don’t see anything suggesting it is male either.

3 Likes

ThankS @dbrn32, I’m sure it’ll get easier with experience but this first time around is making me a little :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Trust me balls are very hard to miss lol Some just take longer to show their sex. You’ll catch them before they will do any harm.

5 Likes

I can identify them when they’re well developed like the pic above so not stressing about them doing damage. I’m just ready to get rid of some of these plants already🤣. I’m still watering 43 plants a day🤪

4 Likes

I feel like a slacker!I only have 12…LOL! 43 is a load…

1 Like

I just decided, I’m not going to look at any of them until Thursday. I’ll just water blindly🤣

I thought I was gaining patience with this whole growing thing…maybe not

4 Likes

Looking for balls/potential trouble makers-- kinda like real life eh??? Lol jk
I have a question. When you look at your group of males and your group of supposed females, do you see any of those generalities? Like some of the stuff I have been reading on the web, males are taller, females have more leaves at the top, males have thicker stems,
discerning factors like that?

And are u getting roughly 50% males?

2 Likes

Lol I’m not big on patience either. Hopefully by then you can weed out most of the males left

2 Likes

I have only really looked at the height factor and the sex “parts” and the height factor is not 100% coming into play so far. The pic I posted above of the obvious balls is in one of the shorter plants with a TON of leaves (all of RAPs genetics are growing with some serious leaf production under the initial large fan leaves)
SickKid’s Sick O Berry, two of them are super tall, one he identified as male and one isn’t showing any sex at all.
So things are all over the place really🤣
I’m sure after all is said in done, in the next week or so I’ll have a much better understanding of them. I’m just driving myself crazy trying to identify them, probably a bit too early.
Have I mentioned I’m OCD and have control issues​:rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

12 !even just watering 4 is quite a bit of a hassle when you’re working full time lol doesn’t help I’m growing in a literal closet getting that corner is ruff

3 Likes

Thankfully I’m working from home but honestly it takes me about 30 minutes tops to water. That’s moving things around to access them all, emptying trays etc. I use an electric transfer pump though so that makes a huge time difference

5 Likes

Tx for sharing all that! I get Ocd too ( i think all nurses do). Im going to drop Rap genetics in about 6 weeks, unless i chicken out.
And once again Im finding my web research falls very short compared to the experienced growers here!!
Oh another thing I read was that if the stygmas cross ( like an x), its usually a female.
I can certainly see how obsessive it can become to constantly check for boy parts!! But im also pretty excited to take it on.
:+1:t3::purple_heart:
Really, how else do u learn this stuff unless ur willing to dive in and try. I mean, u can read and research to death— and half that stuff is wrong or obsolete or doesnt work in ur environment. Experience and finding a grower in your geographical area is the best thing. And if ur mistakes are too embarassing. . .just dont tell anyone lol. Except maybe the Dawg in private message lol!! He never makes me feel stupid.
:cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

Totally agree. I’m the “dive in” type for sure. I just need to learn MORE patience when it comes to this process. Really, the boys are obvious when the times comes…I just need to keep reminding myself of that🤣

I have learned so much over the past year. I’ve applied it to house plants, vegetables etc. I could grow much successfully before this adventure. Plus it’s fun!

3 Likes