Reservoir temp issue

Oh, I know! Glad I got mine when it was (only) $400.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 The Active Aqua 1/10th HP that I bought 2 days ago was $384.97 + tax is $411.92 to my door.
GOOD MORNING!

2 Likes

@HappyHydroGrower @Myfriendis410 @Hellraiser @dbrn32 OMG! This thing has been a HUGH game changer. Good by to the frozen water bottles.

4 Likes

Set it and forget it takes on a whole new meaning haha!

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410
DUDE! That’s what I did yesterday. I purged the chiller with warm R.O. water with some 34% H2O2 to clean it out. Then flushed again with straight RO water to clean it out better. Set the chiller on the shelf next to my 15 gallon reservoir, and started filling the res. When the res was full, I turned on the pumps & chiller. I noticed that the chiller had a temp of 78 degrees. With in 1 hour, the chiller took the temp in the res from 78 down to 67 degrees. FANTASTIC!!

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 .do you run your reservoir temp at 68 degrees? I know to stay at 65 - 70, but didn’t know if there was some ‘perfect’ temp that the roots prefer.

1 Like

Everybody seems to have their sweet spot. For what it’s worth, I set mine at 68. It reads 68-70. Roots are always white.
:+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

I have had mine set at 68 since I plugged it in yesterday.
Thanks

That’s where I set mine. You can play with the precision of the range of temps too: I think the default is +5F but can set down to +1F IIRC.

1 Like

1/10 hp chiller 55 gal system tent temp about 75f lights on. I run it at 69f and it holds fine. Can do 66f no problem. Make sure your water pump is closest to minimum needed for the unit and it cools the water best.
I would show a picture but phone does pics to big of file size.

@BetrayedSoul I have a 15 gallon reservoir. I’m using a 400 gph pump to push the nutrient solution out to the chiller. Works very well. Also using a 1450 gph pump laying on it’s side in the bottom of the res to keep the nutrients stirred & mixed well. And so far, the pumps are not creating a heat problem. It’s all working great now.
Thanks for all the help

1 Like

Hello…Looking into a chiller…I have three 45 gallon tubs…about 3/4 full. Two are each growing two plants…and one is the reservoir. What size chiller do I need??@myfriendis410?

@Cassiehydro … The one that I bought is a 1/10 HP. It’s good for up to 40 gallons. You may want to get the 1/4 HP as it handles 40 to 92 gallons. A little pricy, so be ready.

2 Likes

@Cassiehydro do 1/4 hp like @RockClarke recommended

1 Like

Keep an eye on Craig’s List for a water cooler, you want the kind that holds a 5 gallon bottle of water on the top, get rid of the bottle, connect a return hose to the blue or cold water faucet and lock it open, using a small submerged aquarium pump have it pump water into the reservoir that the water bottle drained into.

Watch the filling of the reservoir, if it is filling faster than the nutrients are flowing back to your holding tank pinch the feed line or close the intake gate on the pump, if it has one to slow down the flow, you want to have the nutrients flowing into, but not filling the reservoir.

Let the nutrients flow through for a half hour or so and check the temperature of your holding tank and raise or lower the thermostat on the water cooler as needed.

Those little upright water coolers only have a 1/10 horse power compressor in them so they will do a good job of chilling the water without jacking up your electric bill a lot.

Any questions just post back and I will try to answer them.

MJT

3 Likes

Have you thought about putting the tank stirers on a timer. If they run 5 minutes out every 30 would that work?

Hey guys, i use an external inline pump to keep my solution mixed, on a timer that runs for 3 minutes twice an hour. also use an external inline pump for fertigation. I insulated my res and frozen water bottles work fine when i need them. colder months i dont them at all…

2 Likes