Removing chloramines

At that point I was water only. It’s worth trying, it’s not expensive to pick up a small bottle from the pet store. If a problem occurs, it happens quickly and it’s quickly remedied by discontinuing use. It’s not a plant killer or anything.

1 Like

I’d personally look up using acids to neutralise the chloramine. Heard it takes a few drops. But like I said I have no way to test it.

I didn’t realize you could use cal/mag as a foliar spray . What concentration do you use?

1 Like

I believe it was 2.5ml/gal. I just mixed up a full gallon because I didn’t feel like breaking down how much I’d need for a 200ml mist bottle. Then I’d fill up my mist bottle and dump the rest on my outdoor plants.

1 Like

I’ve never used foliar spray yet.

Two of mine are showing either a cal or mag deficiency . I believe it’s because I’m using old nutes. I’m going to give this a shot and new nutes of course lol

1 Like

Chlorine and Chloramine are not heavy metals, they are also not detectable by an EC pen because they arent conductive.
Perhaps I misunderstood your post? I apologize if thats the case. In any event, for those that were unaware of that…

No worries. I was referring to those water conditioners removing heavy metal like iron from the water and was contemplating if it continued to neutralize the iron in the plants when the roots uptake it. @Cannabian

That I cant tell you because I dont know. Our water utility uses Chlorine and we use a commercial carbon filter to remove it. The odor is pretty strong at the hydrant we installed at the street. Cant smell it at all after the filtration. That being said, i dont trust that all of ghe chlorine has been removed so I let it stand for 24 hours in an open 5 gallon pail before use. Chloramine is fairly persistent, I would do some research before I used water treated with it. It will nuke all the beneficial microbes and sterilize your medium to the point that life will not grow.

1 Like

As a homebrewer of fine beers and ales, we’re able to counter chloramines in our water with Potassium Metabisulfate. Of course, that treated water is going to be boiled eventually once mashed with grain and flavored with hops. I believe the treatment creates a heavier compound and it sediments to the bottom or gets filtered out.
Does anyone know if we might be able to take advantage of K2SO4 (or whatever it actually is)? With just filtering perhaps?

2 Likes

And after reading some more on chloramines, it seems ascorbic acid, Vitamin C, can neutralize chlorine and chloramine while only dropping the pH just a bit acidic. I found this on a brewers’ forum:

I checked NYC’s water report, and the highest observed level of Free Chlorine Residual was 1.74 mg/L, with an average of 0.63 mg/L. This means that according to Martin Brungard’s numbers, I can use about 1 mg/L of Vitamin C, or about 30 mg of Vitamin C in 8 gallons of water - and that is conservative, since that would take care of the highest observed level of chlorine. However, realistically I can only measure in 100’s of mg’s, and I don’t mind adding a little extra, so I will probably end up using between 100 and 200 mg of Vitamin C per 8 gallons of water.]

I may just try this once and see…

2 Likes

I read about campden tablets for brewers and had wondered if this was a viable option .

1 Like

Anybody who does this, can you recommend a brand/place to get this stuff?

I’d imagine GNC probably has it but a cheaper option would be preferred