Remove big shade leaves to let more light in the lower parts?

A question of a fellow grower:

Hi guys, I am currently growing Grand Daddy Purple, it is very compact and I am wondering is it ok to remove the big shade leaves to let more light in the lower parts of the plant or doesn’t it matter? I am growing it indoors by the way.

2 Likes

How old is she? She looks a little young still. If she were mine I would try tucking some of the big fan leaves and maybe try some LST to open her up more. I really don’t take leaves until well into flowering.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, she is 7 weeks old I am aware of LST I always do that but I have noticed since growing indoors that The branches can be brittle I have broken already broken a few, but I will do that

1 Like

What kind of soil and nutrients are you running? Your branches shouldn’t be that brittle. They should be more rubbery. It’s always best to do LST before you water them. Believe it or not that is when they are more flexible.

1 Like

I am using a good quality potting mix and I use organic liquid fertiliser and Seasol soil conditioner, I don’t over feed either and keep soil on the dry side for good aeration

2 Likes

That sounds good! Maybe try before you water and see if you notice a difference. If you took a couple big leaves it won’t hurt her too bad I just wouldn’t go too crazy on her yet

1 Like

First welcome to the community I agree with @Missiles maybe take a couple leafs tuck a couple . Sometimes I will get me a little forked stick an insert between a couple upper limbs. To spread it out let more light penetration. Basically works the same as using the net but not near as much trouble. Your plants look great good luck.

2 Likes