Relatively clueless noob's first indoor grow

@Familyman @PurpNGold74
I’m using a drops testing solution, which I appreciate isn’t ideal, but was the suggestion of the guy in my local hydro shop, and is the next best affordable thing for me right now… I’ll add it to the list of things to get when money is available.

Re the colouring, I’m not really sure where it started, the new growth was looking a bit tigery-y when I initially noticed it, and then a couple of days later, I noticed that there were a few burnt-ish looking leaves that I’d missed, right at the bottom of at least one plant. So I don’t actually know which end started looking weird first. Just that bottoms don’t look stripey now.
The ends or sides of a few leaves were a tiny bit crispy (you can see it on the right in the “pot comparisons” shot). Since transplant it seems to have improved at the bottom, and it’s just the top that’s looking a bit paler/stripey.
I thought it was magnesium deficient due to the stripes (and after having seen others’ similar looking plants diagnosed as this)… I’m happy to take advice on this.

Could you get a close shot of the lower affectd leaves?

1 Like

Hey :grinning: sorry about that… got kind of sidetracked (first weekend in about four months that I didn’t have to do anything,so I was being lazy)

The burns on that one are the worst, also brown speckling over the leaves

The tops look like

I know the underneath of the canopy must be getting a bit pissed about the lack of light, it was looking a bit yellow and floppy after repotting. I’ll have the tent/light set up by Thursday. The new growth is already looking a lot happier than the bottom (though that may be at the expense of the older growth).
Some stems are a little red too… they also darken over time, so I’m not sure if that’s just genes.

I’m growing in coco, in tap water, in a hard water area, and have heard a few people say that they’ve needed to boost magnesium with canna coco nutes.
If you think something else is going on, I’d appreciate your input… I’m going on my best, reasonably uninformed guess at the moment.

@Myfriendis410 is your guy. I think he does coco. As does @Jbum. But i hear its a calmag hog.

I just reread over our earlier convos (cuz ima pothead and forgot what we’ve discussed) BUTTTT the burns maybe from correcting your ph closer to in range. That allowed her to take up more of the nutes youve been feeding. Do you have a tds/ppm meter? (We shoulda been asked that) to check how loaded her soil is atm. And have you been supplementing any calmag? That big fan leaf on the leaf of the canopy view that is showing yellow edges looks like a deficiency

2 Likes

Yes coco is a Cal/Mag stealer lol. Also the harder the water the more calcium it has and will lock out magnesium as well.

1 Like

I don’t have a tds/ppm meter… Not only do I not have one, I’m not sure what forms they come in.
So far, the extent of my activity has been: buy medium, tent, light, ph down, canna coco a+b and (narrow range) ph testing kit. I really wasn’t expecting the seeds to even germinate. Also funds are extremely limited which is kneecapping me.
I know I’m not doing this properly… I’m just trying to work with what I’ve got.

I haven’t been supplementing cal/mag. I asked the guy in the shop about it and he said not to as it’s a hard water area so it might cause calcium issues… this is why I thought it might be better to try epsom rather than cal/mag.

The lower down leaf burning started around the time of the transplant, (the pots were previously too small, crowded, getting too little light etc and seemed unhappy… I think they might be improving from that point. They look happier now than they did the other day, even if some of them are still looking pretty sad.

2 Likes

…I’m in a hard water area.

I think you said 71 ppm… thats not super hard. A tds meter is $10~ on amazon n extremely beneficial.

1 Like

You should be okay with the hard water although I and others saw improvements once treating the input water (R/O). You want to gravitate towards a high solids adjusted nutrient line like GH Micro.

If you don’t do anything else you should pick up a PH meter. NOT one of the cheezy 3 in 1 meters at HD but an actual single purpose digital PH meter. They can be had for $15 online. This is the single best investment you can make other than lighting.

2 Likes

@Jbum Should I add some epsom? Could it hurt? (if so, I won’t try it)
If it is ok to use, how much should i use?
@PurpNGold74 @Myfriendis410 Water board has our reading as Hard -118mg/L as calcium. Very hard starts at 120mg/L as calcium.
Didn’t realise they were cheap, thought I was looking at another $100… I’ll get one of those.
Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

I would grab the meters first. Amazon has them I think you can get both a PPM/TDS and PH meter for like $25.

2 Likes

Get da meters :joy:

3 Likes

Something like these will work.

https://www.amazon.com/KETOTEK-Hydroponics-Aquariums-Drinking-Fishpond/dp/B07S8GYC67

1 Like

Most started with an inexpensive meter: pick one. Do get PH up and down, and a bottle of 7.0 Standard Reference Solution: this is to cross check the meter.

This is the meter I currently use: it’s a bit more but is outstanding:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Accuracy-Suitable-Testing-Replaceable/dp/B01ESYG6B0/ref=sr_1_7?crid=WZHHG2UQRCEP&keywords=apera+ph+meter&qid=1563238468&s=gateway&sprefix=apera+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Calibration-Solution-Gardening/dp/B0052YE2I0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26UJX6IY1SDXP&keywords=ph+7.0+standard&qid=1563238536&s=gateway&sprefix=7.0+PH+sta%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Liquid-Fertilizer-1-Quart/dp/B00CJID1I4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=PH+up+and+down&qid=1563238576&s=gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Liquid-Fertilizer-1-Quart/dp/B005H78ZLC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=G9X2BQ848T2O&keywords=ph+up+general+hydroponics&qid=1563238666&s=gateway&sprefix=PH+up+%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-4

2 Likes

Noooo! Dont listen to @Jbum for once (sorry bro). Take that outta ur cart. Waste of $10. Drop $40 on an Apera 20 or Bluelabs… much MUCH better investment. Darn $10 meter uncalibrates so often its a chore. And you only get one packet of calibration solution.

3 Likes

This is true I didn’t know if there was budget restraints

2 Likes

Tent’s up, light’s ready, waiting for meters.

@PurpNGold74 @Jbum @Myfriendis410
Got the ph meter and ppm/ec meter.
Do I check the water before, or after, it’s been through the plant? …Or do I need both readings?
For the latter, would I just feed as usual then test the run off?

Thanks for the continuing answers and patience.:smile:

2 Likes

Yes check both

3 Likes

I’m lazy and generally don’t check runoff numbers until the end or if there is an issue. But that’s me and it’s very easy to do a runoff test.

Mix your chemicals, let stand for 15 minutes then PH. I’ve been running mine a bit lower than conventional wisdom at 6.0 for just about everything.

1 Like