Red stems problem?

I just got done reading another article about red purple stems. Urgent they say unless it’s the strain. Funny I’d be alarmed if I didnt get red or purple stems.
I changed the bulbs in my incubator/baby room yesterday and today seeing upper stem and petioles became deep purple. I heard/read in a healthy plant, no deficiencies, UV light will do something like that. But the 5000k to 6500k I use aren’t quite UV.
Little beyond seedling, just over three weeks old. Still, they’re so small and young, can’t be deficient in magnesium yet could they? I dont care too much, but it’d be nice to know more. Does anybody remember using a MHa light, did we always get red or purple back then?

5 Likes

No real input except to say I have many, many strains that seem to reddish/purple stem the fan leaves when the fans are “mature” aka really large. My actual plant stems never seem to discolor, but fan leaf stems regularly do. I think it may sometimes be deficiency I just don’t care enough to correct, but it probably is genetics to a large degree as well. I always watch for other symptoms - if multiple symptoms appear, then I start to wonder if the red stems is unusual for that strain.

2 Likes

My gorilla glue i did it had red to purple stem in some places and it was fine

2 Likes

Carotenoids and anthocyanin.

1 Like

Multiple symptoms yeah that’s worth concern. I hoped to find out its a good sign, 'cuz fruit and berries dont make as many carotenoids anthocyanin xanthophylls etc in soil depleted of micro/trace minerals. Then the light spectrum has to be there. What I’m getting to is I want to manipulate this more, just for the fun of it

1 Like

Red petioles can be caused from a lot of things. Exposure to higher than normal light intensity, genetics, nutrient deficiency, probably other stressors too.

1 Like

Same here. GG with dark red fan leaf stems.