Recommended Pot Size For Autos

I recently ordered 7 gal for photoperiod seeds but have 2 autos left. Is 7 gal too much for the short time it takes to grow Autos? T.i.a

1 Like

Some go as small as a 3 gal but a 5 would give you plenty of room @Konflict.
I do mine in 5 gals.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t grow in a 3 gallon pot as I want the girls to get as big as possible for my 4x4x80” tent. Plus I don’t want to water 9 pots.

1 Like

You put 9 plants in a 4x4? :grinning:

@Konflict 3-5 gallons is great, but 7 will work.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. I figured 7gal would just be a waste of dirt bc it won’t be around long enough to fill the pot. 5 it is

2 Likes

I use 7 and fill up about 6 of vh it vfc and grow monster autos

I have 2 left, might run one in a 7 gal and one in the 5. See how the experiment turns out. What is vfc?

My fat fingers. I’m think I meant in coco. Start in solo cups and cut sides all the way down cup when you transplant and make sure its kinda moist but not dry so it stays together. If you wait until roots hold everything together even better. Go from cups to 7 gallon.

2 Likes

All things being equal, a 7 gallon will grow a bigger auto than a 5 gallon. Like @HornHead said and start in a Solo cup then transfer into final home when roots start to poke out.

2 Likes

Thinking about giving the super soil recipe I saw in this forum a try. Don’t have any coco or experience with it.

I’m also considering running an auto in 7gallon, but from peat Puck to final pot, wonder if I can get away with not feeding and bloom nutes and if so what will results look like.
Worth an experiment if running rich fox farms soil.

Currently have always grown in 5 gallon and the roots don’t quite get root bound and sometimes don’t touch the edge/bottom so I don’t know how well this would work. I use mkyos and fox farms has humic acid along with kelp in it so not really much more one can do in order to boos root ball I would think.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve had 1 make it to the bottom in which I like to keep a thin layer of perlite or river rock (small pebbles) just to insure a good drainage at the bottom. The roots where down in the perlite and idk if that’s actually good for them. My last run with autos I stunted them(transplant shock or too long in solo cup). It was a learning experience bc the harvest was embarrassing to say the least. From now on I’m just going from germination into final pot with autos

1 Like