Really THIRSTY plant?

Is it even possible that my WW Auto, 40 days old, in good shape I think, in a 2x4x60” tent, 3 clip on oscillating fans running, 6 in in line duct fan sucking out heat and humidity, and a 400 watt led light running at 80% 24hr a day , 3 gallon fabric pot, could be using a gallon of water every day? I watered it yesterday and I swear the top 1” of soil is dry today.So I stick one of those 2 pronged moisture,pH, light meters and it comes back with a dry reading at all depths. When using my finger the soil FFOF mixed with extra worm castings usually feels cool but never moist. Thanks for any advice it’s what I love about this forum.

1 Like

Why would you waste electricity like that? If you have actual 400 watts in a 2 X 4 you have plenty to flower off in a 12 hour day. The rest is just wasted light as the plant can’t use it. Is that 400 watts from the wall or what the manufacturer said it was?

Pardon my French but that meter is a piece of shit and should be bent into a horseshoe and trashed. Most growers learn the ‘pick up’ method.

Get yourself a decent digital PH and TDS meter: most valuable grow tool there is.

How about some pictures in white light?

4 Likes

Those meters are hit and miss you can get one that works well and another one is crap the best way is to lift the pot and feel the weight it takes a little getting used to but it’s the best way then you can use your meter and check how works with what you feel from the weight of the pot

2 Likes

Yes I know running the light 24/7 is a waste as far the plants needs are concerned. I started using 18/6 however the nights were getting too cold without the heat from light. Yes I have a very small heater I could use but at it’s lowest setting it uses almost 900 watts and since it won’t hurt the plant running light 24/7 it works out to be more efficient. All the wattage is being measured by a Poniie PN2000, pH measured with Apera Ph 60, TDS measurements with Vivosun tds meter(not so good) as it gives erratic readings that can’t be accurate… need to upgrade I know. I figured the moisture meter was crap. Still the question in your opinion can this plant be consuming a gallon a day? Have you ever had a plant use as much? I’m pretty sure I know the quality of all my equipment but that is not what I’m asking. Anyway I appreciate your responses I just wish I could get anyone with more knowledge than I to answer my query.

2 Likes

Yes! They can. Your plant is actually needing more than a gal a day. That’s the reason so droopy.
The reason they are droopy is a combination of several factors, maybe too much light, not enough water.
Some can drink 2 or more in a day.
The plants, having just gone through their transition, is drinking and feeding all it can. They will probably slow down some.
Sorry if I repeated something you already know.
Overall, your plants look good. Good luck!
:+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

SPYONYOU, thanks for your input that was perfect. I suspected underwatering and I think your right about the light. Vivosun vs4000 is very bright and it might be like “sunburning” the plant. Right now it’s at 80% and I think I’ll lower it to 60. Also thanks for letting me know that plant is in a state of transition. Being as this is my first ever grow I suspected the plant was in its flowering stage but it’s nice for someone to confirm what I’m thinking Great help thanks again.

2 Likes

It is through with the transition and is indeed in flower stage. Transition (3 weeks roughly) is when they tend to drink the most.

I noticed you said 24 hr light, switching to 18/6 and understand your problem with temps.
The extended light times will make them drink more as well.

What temps were you getting at night?

1 Like

Actually I went from 18/6 to 24/7 for the heat and since I’m using AC Infinity 6” T-6 inline duct fan with digital controller my temps are consistently 80 to 81 deg. Humidity is usually between 55% to 63%. I think I could switch back to 18/6 but I was afraid the plant might freak out on me since I’ve had it on 24/7 for about a month and this will be the third change in it’s lightning schedule. If I leave light off 6 hr temp inside tent would probably drop down to the mid 70’s maybe lower.May be worth a try though, hell maybe this girl just needs a little break and some more H2O.

2 Likes

Oh my! Mid 70’s is totally ok. Probably better than 80. I thought you were talking about dropping down to 60 or 50’s.

If it were me being an auto, I would flip to 12/12. Run lights at current setting unless you see an issue pop up. Like myfriend was saying, your elect. bill will thank you.

If it gets too cool (65ish) I would run lights at night to combat the night cool temps and off during the day to combate high temps.

I have to run mine at night for summer and winter (all year).

70-80 is good temp. RH 45-55ish is ok till you get near the end. Then you should try to get RH down below 45 to help prevent bud rot. Fans will help.

Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes my humidity is running a little high and that is going to be an issue before too long. You think running fans will help? Maybe I’ll shut some of the vent covers and ramp up the inline duct fan along with the fans already inside the tent. I live in a part of the country where summers are extremely hot and the humidity outside is regularly 80% and up. I don’t want to spend $ on a dehumidifier and I’ve heard that rock salt placed on plates inside the grow tent are or can be effective at reducing humidity. Obviously you have most likely been growing longer then I, how long have you been growing? Auto flowers or photoperiodics? Strains? Don’t mean to pry just curious.

1 Like

If you can keep temps and humidity throughout the rest of the grow like your going, you’ll still produce some good buds. Every grow is an improvement over the last. It’ll all come in time.

Read all the journals you can if you want to improve. There is a wealth of info on hear if you are willing to read. Always ask question first before you do something if you are unsure of. Plenty of folks here that have experienced an issue at some point or another.

I have been growing about 3 years. All of mine so far have been photos. I do have a lambs breath auto I’ll try at some point.
I just harvested my Sour Diesel. Soon as it dries and I get it in jars, I’ll clean everything up and start again.
I’m in hydro and can only grow two at a time due to limited space. This go round I was only able to get one going. I think it’s gonna turn out ok.

This is what I just harvested.
Sour Diesel. 24 weeks seed to harvest.

9 Likes

Anyone else lick their lips when they looked at the pics?? Yummy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That looks more like a marijuana forest. Man that’s some nice work.

4 Likes

Hey Spyonyou, I’ve got a question for you or anyone else for that matter. I have started harvesting my ILGM white widow auto. I didn’t pull it up by the roots instead I’m cutting off branches and trimming as I go. Now that most of the upper branches have been cut a lot of the lower branches are mostly popcorn nuggets a few have some descent buds. I haven’t water or fed it in about 10 days and it’s been lights out for about 6 days, however the plant looks a little dry other than that it looks pretty green still. I was wondering if I water it , give it a little food and turn the lights back on since the lower branches will get more light now will it start to grow again so those small buds will get bigger or is it too late …. Plant is about 84 days old. Next grow I’m going to do a lot more pruning like you did in the photos you sent. I’ve got more questions about that but I’ll save them for later. Thanks for any knowledge ahead of time.

4 Likes

Depending on your medium and the size of your pot, you might be able to either reveg it or continue to feed with light schedule on 12/12 and finish the buds that remain.

I’ve never tried anything like that,
Do you have a picture of the plant and how she looks now?

@Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @Hellraiser @peachfuzz @PurpNGold74 @beardless
Has anybody done this or maybe have an idea on what will happen?

Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I say give it a try, may take awhile to start growing again. Or reveg it possibly…

3 Likes

I believe that they said that it was an auto…
It that’s the case , no chance for revegg , but can definitely get those popcorn buds to ripen more and get some weight…
I selective harvest every time , but I only grow photos, so if I wanted to revegg I can…
Not with an auto , but you can definitely push it along , 12/12 light cycle and a little flower nutrients and good water… :+1::wink:
I’ve been indoors and outdoors for over 13 years or more , can’t remember because I’m a stoner… lol :grin::smile::joy::rofl::laughing::upside_down_face::smirk:
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks brothers! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Spy for your input. Think I’ll just finish trimming it and and store the trimmings. I broke down and got a trim bin so all those popcorns will go to good use. I’m going to start a new grow in a new tent, 4’x4’x80” and grow more then 1 plant this time. Maybe 4 or 5 plants. Only thing, and I’m sure everyone knows this is I spent an incredible amount of time on this plant(1st grow) hopefully I’ve learned enough to use my time more efficiently. I know some pics would have helped but I forgot how to do it, I know I’ve included pics in previous posts, I’ll figger it out. Plus I’m old, when I was in college we used punch cards and NO ONE had a computer, no cell phones, not even beepers and I graduated in 82.

3 Likes

If I ain’t in the dirt , you will definitely here back from me…
Life is never a given…
It’s just a hope and a prayer and faith for a better tomorrow for all of us…
If something falls short , then as humans we will push forward to help one another…
Evil never wins , it’s just there to keep us on our toes…
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes