Really Old Man First grow

I’am a old “Hippie” from the 60s. Decided growing might encourage the aging mind to hang on a little longer. Not sure exactly how to use this Forum so bare with me until I catch up.
Here is the set up. Grow room 2x4x7. Equipped with Mars Hydro TSL 2000 Hanging about 17” above Two 5 Gal. Smart Pots filled with Fox Farm Ocean Forest, 20% Perlite and a center core of 20oz of Fox Farm Light Warrior Seed Starter. A Cloudline T6 exhaust with an AC Infinity Air Carbon 6” filter. A Passive intake From a 300 sq’ below ground basement room. Using a small humidifier to boost humidity and “AutoPilot” environmental monitor. I will be planting ILGM Jack Herer Autos. A couple of weeks of test numbers without any soil. Temp. 75/78…CO2. 450/ 500. Humidity is where I seem to be having a problem. Never been able to reach 70 % and keep temp up. The best I can do is Temp 78, Humidity 40%/50%. To do this I have to run the fan at lowest setting which is 22 CFM. If my math is correct that means total air exchange is about once after 3 minutes . Thanks for reading. Am I OK for planting ?

13 Likes

Sounds like you got a good plan @Parava I also grow in a 2x4x6 closet. I love growing, on 9th grow now so awesome. Good luck man I’ll be watching if you post on this thread.

1 Like

Welcome to ilgm :v:t3:
Looks like you have studied up. Now time to try and learn and get experience. I’m right here with you man. I’ll watch and learn with you.
I’m at 70 degrees and about 40%rh the girls seem to be OK but time will tell.

1 Like

One thing I might suggest would be to do photoperiod plants instead of autoflowers. For some reason new growers were steered toward autos which I believe is a mistake. Here’s why:

Autoflower plants are on a fixed clock; regardless of light hours etc they will grow, flower and die in X days. Anything that slows the plant down will diminish it’s growth, size and overall yield. Conversely; if the plant takes off and keeps growing, you will run out of room and nothing you can do. A photoperiod plant though; if something is done to slow it down just veg it longer. You do need good lights but I think that light will be enough for your space with 2 plants.

The simplest thing to learn is to tag someone: use the @ sign in front of their handle and it should populate with names as you type.

Good call here. Suggest you germinate in a coffee cup with distilled water and peroxide, then go into a Solo cup of Light Warrior. This is for water management and you can dome with a clear Solo cup. Gotta use a colored one for the soil although you can nest a clear in a red and be able to see root development. Just poke a bunch of holes in it.

This is actually fine. Dome your seedlings and young plants for as long as they’ll fit (2 liter Pepsi bottles cut down for example). I prefer 76F for my plants once established.

You really don’t have the environment or lights to supplement CO2.

FYI you don’t want to run that until plants get stinky and the humidity is low.

That’s fine for cannabis. When they’re little you don’t really need anything so run your fan to exhaust waste heat and you’ll do fine.

I would also strongly suggest you acquire a decent PH and TDS meter along with all of the support management infrastructure (lol) like Calibration and Storage Solution, Standard Reference Solution etc. TDS meter should read ideally 500 scale (American). Apera Instruments makes a couple of decent ones but if you want to cut to the chase buy a Bluelab. PH up and down, if tap water is crappy you will want to run R/O. Plan to supplement once you reach flower as well.

Hopefully that gives you some additional things to work with.

Welcome!

Here’s some great growers that I would advise you listen to so you don’t do the stupid crap we all did haha: @repins12 @Not2SureYet @Nicky @merlin44 @Missiles any advice before OP starts?

9 Likes

@Myfriendis410 has you covered with his very thorough reply.

5 Likes

You will do very well with these guys watching out for you :grinning:

2 Likes

No you have him covered @Myfriendis410 !

Good luck :four_leaf_clover: @Parava

1 Like

Here is a good option for low Humidity. It is similar to @Myfriendis410 s box.
You can grab a clear tote almost any where for a few bucks. I have a small 15"x10" one. You can put your little ones in it and close the lid to keep humidity up. The best thing is unlike a dome. This gives you better air flow. Like myfriend. I drilled holes on the side so I can blow fresh air in. I have a 23w cfl in there that I have on at night to keep things nice and warm,. I can keep 60% and up of humidity in the box even with the lid off in my tent. You can use what ever light you have too. :grin: Just make sure you have a clear lid.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. Have a high end Bluelab PH pen but no TDS meter. Water quality here in rural central Al. is lousy. I know people who have RO systems under their sinks. I assume a meter would indicate chemicals that would be harmful for the plant. I will pick one up tomorrow . While we are on this … I keep seeing posts about PH test in soil or runoff. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

You can use your Bluelab for runoff and slurry tests, both. Any $15 TDS meter will do fine.

2 Likes

I am tuned to watching @Parava. If I can help, just let me know :+1:t4: :v:t4:

3 Likes

I’m here too. Looks like a you have a god crew to support. @Myfriendis410 covered just about everything

3 Likes

Solid reply @Myfriendis410, I’ll be honest I don’t have alot of time for the next couple days but after that I’ll be able to provide more support.

1 Like

Have some problems with leaves curling. When you have some time check photos and support ticket.