Ready to buy good lights, need advice

I have been given advice on lighting before but now I am ready to buy.
The area is 3’X2’, it is a nook built-in to my bedroom (3 sides are drywall or interior walls with reflective paint with sliding panel about 5 foot tall (also reflective).
A guy at a lighting store said HLG 600w is too much for my space, lots of heat. Is that true?
The cost of electricity is not an issue for me, it is covered by a hefty condo fee.
Too much heat may be a problem. I already have problems keeping the temp and humidity at the correct levels.
When advising please feel free to treat me like a moron, provide me details.

1 Like

Yes, and I doubt that a 600 would even fit in a 3x2 space. I would go with an HLG 260 or 300 for a 2x3.

Smaller lights also generate heat. If it is too hot, then place the light’s driver outside of the tent. It can also help a number of things if you were to increase airflow into and out of the grow space.

We don’t do that here on this site. All of us were new to this game at some point.

14 Likes

In a space that small and if already having temp issue, try to find a light that has a removable driver, that can sit outside of ur space, besides that it just depends on how much $ u want to spend, best of luck

1 Like

Always hear great things about HLG this would maybe work for u, call and ask if they can add a longer cord since it is a DIY set up. I’m new tho and in first grow so maybe listen to someone else. But Im saving up to get an HLG light they have a sale in October and I have emailed and spoke with them on phone real person, best of luck

1 Like

When I got my HLG 260W V1 I had trouble with heat in my 3x3x6 tent. With help from this forum I moved my driver out side of the tent problem solved.

3 Likes

Thanks to all, sounds like an hlg260w is the one for me with driver outside.

Does it have to be HLG?

4 Likes

@kingkupa cheaper than $297? That price looks good to me.

Yes the price looks good mine are a older HLG 260 not sure what i paid for mine. give me 5 minutes and I’ll look.

1 Like

HLG 260XL OR ES 300 might fit.

1 Like

Whatever you buy needs to be built with Samsung LM301 series diodes. HLG products does use these diodes.

2 Likes

this is the one I got 2 years ago |Product|SKU|Price|Quantity|Total|
| — | — | — | — | — |
|260W QB V1 LED Kit - 3000K| Mine was 279.00 so yes a good buy and better than what I have.

Like said got an email HLG having sale starting October, it did not say what lights or any specific details I’m just waiting 10-11 days to find out, but said like 20% off worth waiting

1 Like

I wonder if the code DUDE still works.

2 Likes

Yes it does I just used it for a UVA light

2 Likes

It does. DUDE and DIY10 have both been successful for me in the past few weeks.

I have the 260w XL - I’d go with the 260w non-XL for the space in question. Absolutely mount the driver outside the Grow area - easy to do with a few extra feet of red and black solid core copper wire. I have 2 of my 3 drivers mounted outside my tent and I hate that my 3rd one isn’t easy to move (it’s a KingBrite light, which is comparable to the HLG in many ways). It would require a lot of wire stripping and an extension of some cables I don’t have spare casing for. HLG made it much easier for DIY’ers to mount elsewhere.

@JJ520 tell me what you think of their UV light - it’s the only thing that’s missing from my HLG setup right now and I’m wondering if I should grab one.

4 Likes

Definitely worth the money I have one in my 3x3 one in my 4x4 just bought a second for my 4x4 very well worth the money will make everything Frost City use them the whole 12/12 cycle @Graysin

4 Likes

Food for thought: Regardless of which light you choose, if you’re growing photos ensure it can meet your daily light requirements when you switch to 12/12. If you’re growing autos disregard.

IOW, when you switch from 18/6 to 12/12 you will need to increase intensity +50% because 12 hrs is 50% less light per day than 18 hrs.

Example if you veg at 600 PPFD for 18/6, when you flip to 12/12 you’ll need 900 PPFD.

Some lights are incapable of reaching this intensity.

Go with the 260 kit or the 300 l if you don’t want to build a kit both are very great lights you will have no issues I have four 300 and one 260 XL very happy with them 300s come pre-built 260s are a kit both are very nice lights plus hlg has best customer service in the business as far as warranty work if you were to have any but I doubt it

2 Likes

I get 1150 PPFD, but that is with 3 HLG 135 panels over the plant. I’ve done PPFD tests with a single 260 and get 800 to 900 at the center of the canopy.

1 Like

Use the xl one of this to distribute heat better, off-site driver to reduce further

2 Likes