Ranman first post

I am as first time indoor grower. I will be using Jiffy Pellets to start seeds. Then I will transplant into fabric grow pots. I am using Foxfarm Ocean Spray soil. I am using a 32/32/63" grow tent with a 600 LED LIGHT. I NEED TO know what the pH should be in this soil. And have questions about watering with filtered water. When I do the Transplant I will use light at 16 on 8 off. Then when the correct time comes switch lights to ,12 on 12 off. Seeds are expensive so I would like a good grow. I am going to use the Marijuana Grow Bible. But I have.any questions on soil pH watering schedule. I am going to be using Northern Lights Feminized seeds. I need all the help I can. For the investment. Please help me. Ranman.

Seems like you have a good grasp. Best thing you can do is learn as much as you can which looks like you have done your homework. Some things you won’t learn until you need to. Any questions you have shoot. Plenty of experience on this forum. Soil pH should hover around 6.3 to 6.7 for soil. Also it’s Ocean Forest. Great soil. You should look into nutrients like the fox farm trio line also.

Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forum! I edited your email out of topic, please review attached forum policy.

I would water and feed with ph around 6.5 and monitor your runoff once plants are large enough to do. If you see your runoff ph trending up or down from where you go in, you can make small adjustments to help offset.

I use these all the time. One thing to watch is how wet they can get. After you soak them to expand you should remove the majority of the water in them or your seedling will damp off. Basically drowns and dies. I set them on a folded dry paper towel for a while to wick away the water. Once its just damp you throw the towel away. Others just squeeze them out. But dont leave them looking like a swamp. Also cover them with a clear plastic cup or dome of some sort. Avoid the temptation to water them.

1 Like

What a great forum. I am sure to have many questions in the future. Filtered water I thought would be simple but no. I have to purchase a Brita filter that fits my sink tap. I am on well water. That can get a life of of iron. I thought any water from a store was filtered but that is not the case. Is Northern Lights a good choice for my first grow ? Ranman.

1 Like

That was my first plant…Northern Lights. Got two going right now. Its easy and produces well.
I keep a gallon of distilled water around for seed starting. After a couple weeks I switch to tap.

1 Like

Just a heads up. If you are willing spend the time, Most Walmart’s have a ro water system kiosk. If you have your own containers it’s. 39 cents per gallon. You will need to get TDS meter. I have 2 Walmart’s close by one test at over 200 ppm, the other is under 20 ppm. Not to bad in early veg, when it doesn’t take as much water. I’m in 7 gallon pots and using 2 gallons per plant on each watering. Recently bought RO buddie, should save time and money. Also if you need some gallon containers Walmart brand spring water test at under 20 ppm and is only. 80 cents per gallon.

1 Like

So the water Walmart sells at there kiosks is a good source of water for my grow. What are the best nut

nutrients to use

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on the Jiffy Pellets. The last thing I would want is to drown seeds. Ranman.

1 Like

I’m probably not the best one to answer that. I’m only on my 3rd grow. There’s a lot of experienced people here who can give better guidance. I currently use Foxfarms Trio.I have also use FF Ocean forest. It’s a very hot soil. I veged for six weeks on current grow and just flipped to Flower. So far haven’t had to add nutrients with the exception of cal-mag.

The best nutes are the ones readily available in your area. The most widely used in North America is General Hydroponics. A good rule of thimb is to use what is super common because otheds will be able to help you with it. Therefore the GH trio is a great start.
You will need your fertilizer of choice, ph up and down, a decent ph pen and ec pen. The ph up and down can also be General Hydroponics if available.

1 Like

I don’t want to go hydro on my first grow. I am going with the soil and I am going to try 3 plants in my 32/32/63" tent. I want to learn about when to stress plants. You know rolling between fingers and bending. I am sure to have several more questions. I am mailing cash on February 4th. I will put it in a Birthday card. Wrapped in foil. With the correct number on a separate piece of paper. Still trying to find out if Northern Lights is a good Feminised seeds for a first grow. I would also like to know what kind of yield to expect if I do everything just right. I have been doing hours and hours of research. Wish me well.
Ranman.

2 Likes

Fair enough, many guys do very well with fox farms soil products. You may find that 3 feet wide is about perfect for one plant, if supercropping is on the radar. Air movement is super crucial for healthy plant growth, when plants are wall to wall its very hard to maintain good airflow. If you wish to grow 3 or 4 plants in a restricted environment it may be best to grow SOG or sea of green. Instead of many medium sized buds you get 3 or 4 large colas and some medium side buds.
Either works well, technically SOG is more productive in the long run but cloning should be employed to reduce costs on seed and to narrow down your desired plant as seed is kinda hit and miss most of the time. If you want to supercrop or low stress train then your plant will be much wider. You do not want an auto! You want photo plants! Pretty much any strain will do these days unless you get into some sativas like Thai that take forever. You want a strain that is relatively fast finishing. Im sure white widow photo will do just fine.

1 Like

I was really hoping for a 15 to 16 oz grow to even make it worthwhile

Thats a pretty ambitious number for a 3 foot wide tent? Half that might be more realistic? Most expert growers aim for a pound in a 4x4 space. Very seldom is that achieved. Also, to get big volume indoors you need horsepower! Strong lighting and really good environmental control. It isnt as easy as many think to crank out a pound of weed in a 4x4 space! Many first time growers are lucky to see bud let alone any volume!

2 Likes

If you are basing that amount on what seed vendor is listing, understand that is based on optimal conditions. Nothing wrong with being ambitious. I believe if you try to create the best environment and stay vigilant about how your plants are reacting to environment you will be able to have a successful harvest regardless of overall quantity.

1 Like

White Widow, Gorilla Glue, and Banana Kush are good genetics from ILGM. The terps and thc levels are very close to advertised levels. These are the three I have grown in both Auto and Photo. I would say the easiest way to learn growing for me was to start with auto seeds. Fast response and grow time and hard to hermie but much less bud. Average auto crop for me is 2-3 oz dry. Easy plants to learn and get your systems dialed in before going for a larger photo period plant that takes more care and time. Good luck and if you listen to these guys suggestions, you will surely get some fire budz. Happy growing!

2 Likes

So 5 seeds are $89.00 so if I can only do 1plant in my 32/32/63" Tent how do I store the other seeds. I am going to try to start 2 using Jiffy Pellets. Don’t worry I will not over water. Tent 600 LED LIGHT and filter system was $250.00 after seeds soil Timers etc I will be in $500. I was hoping I could do 2 plants in the Tent, but forum users only recommend 1 plant. I have cut a piece for 3/4 inch plywood and drilled a bunch of holes and have a 4 inch steel dryer type vent connected to it for Tent fresh air ventilation. I have already paid for the Northern Lights seeds. I went with those because the supposed ease to grow. I hated putting 89 dollars cash and sending it as directed. I am retired on Disability so I have lots of time for this adventure. I know I can use the netting and try 1 plant but if 2 pop up from Jiffy Pellets I will start with 2 plants and see how it goes. I can still change my led light to a 1000 instead of the 600 if you guys think I should. Wish me luck. I pray my seeds arrive. Wish me luck. Ranman
Thanks for all your support.

1 Like

I keep my extra seeds in a light proof package you will get with the seeds, in the fridge. So they need to be in the dark and cold to store correctly. Everything else seems spot on. I am also running 2 plants in a 4x4 space. Seeds should arrive in a package like I show in the pic. Good luck!

Thanks Tokerguy. Did you send cash in the mail? My wife won’t use her Bank Account for money transfer. I have know Bitcoin. No nothing about the BULLSHIT to get them. I am eager to get started. Ranman.

1 Like