Random Mature Seeds Need Thoughts

Been growing both indoor and out for years, indoor always seedless, but when it comes to outdoors there seems to be random mature seeds throughout the plants. I had 11 and I have found anywhere from 5 to 30 seeds from the plants during harvest. FYI plants are pretty large. No Males anywhere at any time. Any ideas why this happens?

1 Like

Someone nearby is probably growing outdoors. Wind carries a little pollen. Only thing I could think of

3 Likes

What he said or hermied.

1 Like

Bananas can be easily missed with so few seeds that would be my first guess, but could very easily been the guy down the street had a male. My mom lives in Oklahoma and there’s some big hemp farms around her and half of her plants end up loaded with seeds

2 Likes

Last year I found 1 mature seed in one of my best looking buds, I think I caused this by taking pics with the flash on at night, caused a little light stress maybe? I’ve read that mature plants that go too long will make seeds to not extinct itself, I’ve never let a plant go too long, I’m sure none of you have either lol

1 Like

My guess is probably getting a few nanners and self pollinating. If you live where it’s common to grow outside, then natural pollination is probably more reasonable to suspect. Wind can carry pollen a long way, and a reasonable distance could also justify a few random seeds. Definitely one or the other.

1 Like

I have never found a seed in my indoor grow but found a few this year in my first outdoor grow. Neighbor five houses down has a hemp patch in his front yard. It is legal here so there are a lot of people growing. I may just sprout and plant them next year for fun.

2 Likes

@JaneQP true that! I have an ILGM auto blueberry from last season which gave me a seed I wonder if this seed will be a female ( Im sure it should) and if it will carry the genes of a blueberry auto or its “other” genes/traits?

1 Like

I am just worried it will be a cross with the hemp master down the street. At least it will give me practice sprouting seeds since so far I have only grown from clones. I have a great clone supplier, the price is right, and she does all the hard work.

1 Like

All my outdoor plants ended up with seeds which I actually don’t mind. Now I have a bunch of possibly better phenos to try…

1 Like

@Hogbud @JaneQP Yeah I get ya1 I know of only one neighbor that grows and as far as I know he gets female clones…so were good there! Im sure (from my nose) that there’s other growers in my neighborhood but luckily they all grow females…and yeah I imagine it would be cool to get seeds if that’s what you want.

1 Like

At first I was mortified but then realized this is nature lol. So now I have Green Crack seeds and Amnesia Haze seeds but have no idea what pollenated them. Kinda like a surprise present on the way…
One of my indoors also ended up with seeds, not impressed!!

2 Likes

@Hogbud Thats weird that your indoor grow had seeds?> Hmmm were did you get the seeds? Upside is YES you now have seeds from them, downside is that you have seeds from them LOL… Its a 50/50 shot of having females but its worth the shot.

1 Like

Na none of my neighbours grow but I am in South Africa where weed grows naturally where ever someone leaves a seed, so outdoor seeding will be an issue ( i didnt realize this at first as im quite new to growing ) Indoor I had 6 Guerilla Glue Fem seeds in Scrogs but one hermied so I suspect there was a bit of incest going on there. The plants got quite stressed as well from a Nutrient lockout for a short while which may have also been the culprit. GG strain is know for hermies too.

1 Like

@Hogbud I :heart: S.Africa…No were geographically near it…but Ive always loved it!

1 Like

Mom in OK, maybe we are🤔

1 Like

If it came from hermaphrodite is more likely to also be a hermaphrodite. I would use caution if you are going to grow with other plants.

2 Likes

So, I have no nanners, and my 1 neighbor is anti, he’s 1/8 of a mile away. My next neighbor grows, but he has been growing for years as well, female only, plus he’s almost 1/4 mile away. I’m way out in the country in Michigan. So if it’s pollination, maybe someone is trespassing and growing illegally on my neighbors property.

2 Likes

Bananas can actually grow inside a bud and never seen it’s just a single male flower amongst the female calyx that form the buds

2 Likes

Interesting, will be Dissecting a bud that I find a seed in to see if I find a nanner. :banana: lol

1 Like