Raising smart pots

What are some make shifts hacks you guys have used to keep your smart pots off the ground. I want to get air flow on the bottom and I am looking for a cheap/easy solution to accomplish this. Any ideas? My thought was to go to the store and get rubber and cut it and use that…

Thanks for any and all in it!

1 Like

I use scraps of wood. I basically use 1x1x14" strips of wood.

In addition to allowing air to get to the bottom of the pot, you also keep the bottom of the pot from being water logged.

5 Likes

i use wood as well,one by one…

4 Likes

Posting pic. Best thing. Cement mixing tray and closet shelve. Plastic and cloth pots sit on this same setup

5 Likes

I built cedar tables for my box with slats for airflow.

1 Like

I use the smart pot plastic elevation thingy’

They are about 3$ each at thehydro store

2 Likes

@Fever I’ll have to look. I didn’t see anything. But I wasn’t really looking. Thank you!

Expensive version on Amazon but cheap at hydro store Gro Pro 725675 NX Level Pot Elevator, 13" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J37FHF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RhQUzbCDE1F6M

1 Like

Perfect. I saw those on Amazon, I will contact my local store to see if they are in stock. Thanks!

2 Likes

I know places like Walmart sell the entire shelf that it’s practically the same as that plastic and it’s 20 bucks for a 2 x 4 actual 2 foot wide by 4 foot long shelf and I think it came with five of them in there about 2 1/2 3 inches thick and there’s four or five shelves that size you could put side-by-side and you can actually place something to catch the water underneath of them

3 Likes

I’m planning on using wood pallets this spring. I’m hoping to pick up a few more in the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

I had some old plastic storage shelving that I used. Has lots of ventilation.

3 Likes

I just use a couple of very low tech bricks. Got em free!

3 Likes

gotta love that good old fashioned low tech fix…lol
doing so much with so little
we can now do anything
with nothing…lol

4 Likes

Well hmmmmm. I had no idea they were supposed to be elevated, I meet it makes perfect sense I just never thought of it . I have always just stuck them right in the drip pan water and let it suck the run off right back up . I never have much run off though I tend to be on the stingy side with watering if a gallon gives me a quart of run off next time I just give it a quart less . Possibly I should elevate them in the morning before it gets to late to work under the scrog .

@dmykins

I use a plastic dish that has spacers built in to keep the pots elevated but so I can still collect runoff.

Got them at my local hydro store for $3 I think.

1 Like

Many of us here were raised by Grandparents and Parents who lived through the Depression era and have learned to be creative with what we have :blush:

3 Likes

Responding to an old thread because I’m new. I’m using a milk crate to help raise my 25gal pot off the ground. Who knew that gardening during a pandemic would make it difficult to find a lot of these things. Good times.