R0ck’s 2nd Grow

After drying and trimming, 3.5oz. for plant #1. Boys, I’m pretty stoked about that, I’ll lose weight through the cure, but I’m very surprised. Here are some pics of tonight’s trimming:

6 Likes

Awesome harvest!

2 Likes

The story of this grow has been making the opposite of the mistakes in my first grow. This time around, instead of ending the drying process too late, I ended it too early. Trimmed the plant, put it in the mason jars, hygrometers read >80% (I’m embarrassed to say one got as high as 94%.

Friends, that’s a recipe for bud rot. So, the mason jars are in the tent wide open and continuing the drying process before the cure starts. Every 12 hours I have been shaking the jars and pulling apart any buds that are stuck together. Another day or two and I think we will get down into the 60s and hopefully start the actual cure.

I bet the 3.5oz. weight gets down closer to 2oz. after cure, so that’ll take some excitement away.

4 Likes

I’m going to dry a little less this time around as well. I had a couple zkittles auto that hung a day or two too long. Great harvest bro :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Look at this freaking B leaning:

Had to tie her to the damn tent

Plants 3 and 4 in the tent are going through their final week or so before the dark. Some fall (read: yellow/orange) colors are starting to come in, so I may put them in the dark around Friday or thereabouts.

2 Likes

Kind of felt like under drying was preferable to over drying. I just overdid it by probably 2 days… the whole “snapping the smaller stems means it’s time” thing has really been throwing me off.

2 Likes

Chopped Plant #2

5 Likes

Here is each of plant #2s branches:

5 Likes

Buds looks amazing, you’re killing it!

Yeah not the easiest thing to get right and very subjective. I think the guys in the Grove Bags for curing thread have come across a better way to test the buds for moisture content using a moisture meter, which I will be testing with my next harvest, could be very useful in determining when to stop drying.

This kind of moisture meter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275F5O2/

The Grove Bags thread

4 Likes

Awesome, you know I’ll look into that since I use the moisture meter to figure out when to water lol. That has worked beautifully for me. Also, I’m interested in checking out the curing bags too.

It has really just been a minor inconvenience, especially compared to having to add humidity last time around… tumble/shake every 12 hours, re-check humidity every 24 hours. I’m down in the 70s already on one jar, the others should be there this evening. Then, the slower actual cure.

And thank you I’ve followed your method to another great harvest. I loved doing the 8 branch (4 node) method. I feel like I’m starting to be able to visualize how to maximize yield, loved just chopping and hanging the 8 branches this time, simple and easy.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d rather take the plants down a little early and then just dry them a bit more than take too late and have to add moisture, puts them in a better position for the slow dry and curing.

Glad my methods are working out well for you, you are growing some dank frosty bud!

3 Likes

The only substantial differences compared to what you’ve done in your grow journals here are:

1. Haven’t scrogged yet, because I want to figure out a better way to handle watering, runoff, and pruning/defoliation before I commit to that, I’m in a tight space so it’s hard to get in and reach where I need to.

2. The temperatures were pretty cool on this grow. Being that this strain originated in Alaska, ive always read it prefers lower temps. I rarely got above 76 during flower and the temps could be down to 63 at night. Wouldn’t get much below that because humidity would spike and I didn’t want to stress them, but I wonder if part of the frostiness of this grow is due to the cold temps.

3 Likes

Sure, the colder temps (specially at night) can help with both frostiness and color change of leaves. DJ Short (breeder of the great Blueberry strain) says keeping lower temps (during light on hours) helps keep more terpens/flavor in the buds as well.

3 Likes

Beautiful. My plan is to grow strains that like cooler temps late fall - spring… I’m not looking forward to growing during summer again lol

1 Like

I’m thinking about trying an Autopot system for my 3rd grow. I’m definitely not interested in a true hydroponic system, but I am interested in some level of automation and not having to mix up nutrients and water every night or every other night when the plants are all off on different tracks. I would probably go coco + Jacks…

3 Likes

Yeah I see autopots in my near future, at least for the flowering tent.

1 Like

I will follow you into the breach for sure. It sounds fairly simple, my only 2 concerns are cleaning the lines and avoiding leaks/blockage, and I’m a little confused as to how it will work if you have plants with different levels of nute tolerance.

Kind of excited to do the research and try a new system, though. Soil has been great and I could grow plenty, but to take it to the next level and automate a little bit of it this sounds like my preferred solution.

2 Likes

Have been looking into it, first don’t use any sludgy stuff in your nute mix that will buildup and block the lines and can use a product called Drip Clean or similar that is made to help keep your lines clean and free flowing. Nutes like Jacks is very non-sludgy and should work great in that kind of setup. As far as leaks, just setup correctly and monitor, no pressure in the lines as it’s a gravity fed system so lines popping off should not be an issue.

Same with hand watering, sometimes you get that sensitive one that will be your canary in a coal mine, watch the most sensitive one and try to keep her happy and the rest will be happy as well (sometimes not LOL). But could be more of an issue if growing a bunch of different strains, it’s why I mostly do 1 strain runs, better chance that they’ll have similar nute tolerances.

I was happy when I read that Jack’s is good with Autopot, just so simple. It has to be perfect for clones. Imagine running your cherry clones on a system like this.

I was watching your boy Remo last night on the wrong side of midnight, he had 54 plants running on an Autopot system and he seemed to love it. Plants were about a foot taller than him, it almost looked like he was walking through a Christmas tree lot.

Another guy I like named Bill Ward on YouTube seems to be a big fan.

As far as the nutes, you must go with the lowest common denominator as you said and run with it. IE: If one plant can only tolerate 50% nutes, that what you run with.

2 Likes

Yeah love Remo’s plants and videos, about the only guy I’ve seen that grows indoor plants taller than I do.

1 Like