R0ck’s 1st Grow Journal: NTF and Blueberry

@Hellraiser watering today… I’ve given first plant a half gallon + 3 cups so far and no runoff. ProMix + PerlIte. It is in a three gallon pot… 50 days old… should I keep going until runoff?

Do I need more drainage holes? Maybe that’s a problem?

1 Like

Wow, that’s odd, next time, see how much it takes to get a little runoff.

I would add more. There’s a lot of places on that pot that can hold water

1 Like

Hey, thank you for your help! Please follow along if you don’t mind, I can use all the help I can get… I will get to drilling tonight, any recommendation on drill size?

I think part of the issue is that plant was thirsty… I had not watered her since doing a flush 9 days ago and she has grown a ton since then.

@Hellraiser it took a gallon to get solid run-off.

I didn’t want to burn her, so I switched to just water after .5gallons + 3 cups.

The next plant I watered also needed a gallon for run-off. The soil was very dry and pots very light, so partially I think they were super thirsty.

1 Like

When I had plastic pots I used a 1/2” spade bit. You could go larger too

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-88808-Speedbor-Spade-Drill/dp/B001D1L0JK

Bought this today and went to work on the pots, watered two remaining plants after drilling and expanding existing drainage. It took one of them about 3/4 of a gallon to have a good amount of run-off, the other needed a full gallon. The plants are growing like crazy, but the issue with water must be my soil, or maybe I let them dry too much before watering (unlikely IMO).

Only other issue is run-off pH, which again I suspect is a soil issue. The plants are between 5.9 and 6.1. I want to get this up into the 6.3-6.8 range, so tonight I watered with 6.8 pH instead of the usual 6.5. I have read tale of watering with even higher pH like 7.2 water to boost the run-off to the correct range… anyone reading that has any thoughts would be appreciated.

But things are going great. These plants have had rough lives, but as they finish week 6-7 of veg they are looking as healthy as they have looked at any point.

image image image image image

Please pardon my socks.

-Topped once (do not plan on topping anymore)
-LST started with tying down 2 main branches that took off after topping. I adjust existing ties every couple of days to keep encouraging horizontal growth and more light bringing more tops verticle
-Pruning/Defoliation: Remove or tuck fan leaves that block tops (mostly ones that grow inward). Pruning overgrowth at base of plant, stuff that will never reach the canopy.

3 Likes

If you’re in promix, you’re actually about right where you want to be with ph. Growers that use it target between 5.8-6.2

I am, this is the soil I have used for this first grow:

Mixed 2cubic ft. with 8qt. Perlite.

I had previously dropped down lower than 5.9, so I have been working to get it up to 6.0+

1 Like

Plants are still doing very well, but I have made the decision to switch soils for the final transplant. I’m currently in the ProMix above and it just seems like 80-90% Peat Moss retains too much water and has caused issues with pH and nutrients throughout the grow. So, to Happy Frog I go. The other change I have made is deciding to go from 3 gallon pots to 7 instead of 5.

I’m seeing signs of nitrogen abundance (clawing tips) despite only feeding 1/4 strength FF Trio nutes (Big Bloom and Grow Big)… Soil related IMO. Water just doesn’t run through this soil as you’d expect, so let’s change before flowering.

Did some defoliation and slight LST. The bottom right plant (tall ass plant) has an individual scrog setup coming for it, which I will put in place when I transplant. That will be my technique for managing its excessive height relevant to the others. Excited for that.

image image image image image image

2 Likes

They are now in their final home. Transplanted yesterday, used Happy Frog for the final transplant. 7 gallon smart pots.

2 Likes

Plants have really taken off since transplanting to their final 7 gallon pots. Have about 12 days left in veg. depending on when my second light arrives, so I am just preparing them for flower at this point.

Accidentally LST’d a cola right off and ended up just topping that branch. Lesson learned lol

1 Like

@Hellraiser

I’m following Fox Farms Trio schedule at 25% dosage, doing the week 4 schedule since I did that flush a few weeks ago…

In preparation for flower, do you recommend doing a flush before the switch as the schedule suggests?

Yep. I’d flush as their schedule recommends, FF nutes/salts really build up in the soil.

Ok great thanks.

Sorry, forgot to ask. Would you use their SledgeHammer product for the flush, or just run 3x pH water through?

1 Like

Either way, if you got it use it, if not, water works just fine.

@Hellraiser

I may not receive my second light (HLG 260W XL RSPEC) until sometime between the 18th and 25th of this month.

Plants were transplanted into 7 gallon pots on 07/03 with the intention of switching to flower two weeks later…

I don’t expect height to be a problem and I could scrog if they get too tall…

What would you recommend?

• Flip with just one HLG 260 and install the other when it arrives?
  • Wait until second light arrives to flip?
1 Like

I think I would wait and just veg them up a bit more and flower when you get the other light, the more intense the flowering light, the better the flowering response (to a point).

1 Like

Cool with all the issues and unusual first 3 weeks of their lives, an extra week or two may benefit them anyway.

Is there no concern with outgrowing the 7 gallon pot during flowering? I assume if anything they will just be sucking down more water and nutes.

1 Like

No problem there, I’ve grown some large girls in 7 gal pots and never had to water more than every 3rd day, the 7 gal is a great size for longer grows.

Thanks so much! Glad I made the decision to go with 7 instead of 5.

1 Like