R.I.P. Subcool (T.G.A. GENTICS, THE DANK)

Apparently Subcool has passed away yesterday from complications with his rare genetic disorder. In 2013, Subcool was diagnosed with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, a genetic form of emphysema and a progressive lung disease. He moved from Oregon to California for better weather—and “because I had always dreamed of living in Sonoma County where any adult could cultivate 30 plants per household, and that’s exactly what we did,” he tells me. “I’m technically disabled and my lungs only have 70 percent capacity. Growing is hard work, so I have to depend on others to lift and carry things. When I’m really sick, I am hooked to an oxygen concentrator and can barely walk.”

I had just recently seen a few videos he was in on YouTube and he definitely wasn’t looking the greatest but damn still a shock he’s suddenly gone. He was definitely a cannabis legend in my opinion I don’t care about all the stories involved with his personal life between him and mz jill etc… I just focused on his canna contributions and you could tell it was his passion. I will leave this link as it’s a good read on him if it’s not approved sorry in advance mods!

https://www.cbdtodaynews.com/the-rebirth-of-subcool-the-inside-story-of-a-legendary-bud-breeder/

10 Likes

RIP Subcool…you will be missed. :frowning:

4 Likes

I really want to try his Jack the Ripper, but it’s hard to find seeds for it. With his death, his genetics are probably going to become even more highly sought after.

Anybody here have stories about their experience with his genetics?

3 Likes

I unfortunately haven’t grown any of his strains I have smoked jillybean and crazy train both very good! He was a legend though especially with giving back to the community of growers and cannabis communities.

5 Likes

As well as introducing the world to supersoil and good soil recipes.

5 Likes

Damn, that sucks. This news seems to happen more and more the older I get… I wonder why?

5 Likes

Funny, not funny.
I’ve been grappling with that recently.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear it, dont know much about the man. Did get a few strains of his but had a very hard time getting them going. Dropped 5 purgatory and not 1 made it, all I have of his right now is a Deep Purple female and a Top Hat girl (Pennywise x Banana Peels, sounds really interesting, was a new strain they were working on, dont know if it made it to market?).
Thanks Db :+1:

3 Likes

Yes thanks DB.
RIP Subcool, your light will be missed, thank you for everything contributed to the
heart of Mary Jane.
You are free from pain now, fly free

2 Likes

Definitely missed. Still working with his gear. Picked up a bunch that went up after he passed. Hope to keep something of his alive.
If there are any weednerds or TGA testers on site. What up!

Stay Irie! :sunglasses::dash::desert_island:

4 Likes

Last I heard his seed maker was still keeping his lines going. His seeds are still available.

5 Likes

Thanks. Besides what is offered by Norstar and the few original offerings from Badger, which breeder would be selling his gear? I have been buying original packs or purchasing from the same reliable sources.

I have a few of his strains on hand, have shared some w a few members here. Top Hat (mentioned above) was/is excellent! Thankfully feminized. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about all of his gear, for whatever reason and I know there was some drama w his protege or something like that.
The rate of germination is what I would politely call “Iffy” putting it at about 50/50. This figure is not merely based on my own experience w his gear but from other more capable hands here. Some of his strains have had 0 for 5 germination rate.
All the best going forward Brother Irie :wink:

2 Likes

I have had good luck with most of his seeds sprouting. Some do fail to germinate. My most recent packs of grape lime Ricky and Asian Persuasion did not sprout. Most others have sprouted in numbers. Glad to see you keeping something around. I have one Onjelo from him which is fem but, everything else is regs for future breeding.

2 Likes

I’ve been hunting his Casey Jones Strain, can’t seem to find it in the states. Rip Brother.

His last days in Arizona were not good ones.