QWET Results and Advice?

Hello all, I’m hoping you can advise me with this project. I did a quet run last week where I decarbed 4oz of sugar leaf and popcorn buds, froze it overnight, and combined with 2 liters of 90% grain alcohol (which was also in freezer overnight). Total of 4 mason jars, just enough alcohol to cover it. First batch I shook jars every 5-10 mins for a half hour. Second batch I let sit longer, maybe a couple hours with shaking every half hour. They’ve been sitting for a week covered with paper towels, slow evaporation. Down to maybe 1/8” of alcohol left in each dish. Ideally I would like to put some oil into capsules, and then use some for edibles. Finally to my question! Should I let it evaporate until all the alcohol is gone? Or try to separate the different compounds (like the dark oils, the gold colored stuff, and the bottom layer where there is some plant matter mixed in)? I had trouble straining it, it wouldn’t pass through coffee filters. So it was poured through a fine metal strainer (standard kitchen deal).

2 Likes

I think I’d add a bit more alcohol to your tincture and run that through a couple of coffee filters. Then evaporate away the rest.

If doing edibles did you decarb plant material first?

5 Likes

If capsules is what you’re after a single bho extraction and then decarb the wax and put into capsules. Entire process in one day :grin:
I keep a jar of golden dragon around and use it for tons of stuff though, its very versatile.

4 Likes

I tried running it through coffee filters initially, but each time it would plug up/saturate the filter right away. Perhaps a cheese cloth ‘pre filter’ and then followed by the coffee filters?

1 Like

bho is a butane extraction? I was thinking of trying that, I have some more plant material to work with… Yeah I’d like some capsules for when smoking isn’t prudent…

2 Likes

If you can find a higher proof, that should reduce the amount of “green” you end up with in the final product.

I scrape out my QWET with a dab tool while it’s still a bit soft, like sticky saltwater taffy, collect it into a small container and leave the lid off for the alcohol to finish evaporating. If you leave it in the pan til it’s hard, you need a lot of elbow grease to get it out. Pain in the butt.

2 Likes

@Graysin @Myfriendis410
Ok so I took your guys advice and got a pretty good result. I scraped the contents of my two glass dishes into a mason jar, and added in a few hundred ml of some 96% grain alcohol. I added some alcohol into the dishes and scraped away anything remaining (it worked really well). Shook the jar vigorously and then filtered through a cheesecloth. And then through a coffee filter. No hiccups it went really smooth. And the liquid coming through is a nice golden color… Thanks for the advice I appreciate it :grin:

7 Likes

Gorgeous. Nicely done.

3 Likes

That’s beautiful :blush::v:

2 Likes

Yeah, much better!

1 Like

Yes bho =butane hash oil or butane honey oil.
But it’s typically not an oil you get realy.
Just a quick go to name for it.

I’ve seen the qwet method done alot by others but I really don’t understand why all the work with so many steps to get some concentrate when something like a butane extraction is so much fast and easier with very few steps…

Their could be reason’s but I don’t see any other tjen afraid of butane :man_shrugging: which is a very valid concern

2 Likes

I will give the bho a try :+1:t3: it’s my first venture into making concentrates so I’d like to try some different methods and see how it goes…

I prefer an organic solvent to the use of butane myself.

The process is a bit involved at the front end for sure but the results are outstanding. You can tailor your wash based on the final use of the oil: dab oil or edibles.

3 Likes

Flammability of butane and the fact that BHO extractions are illegal in my state without a license keeps me pretty far from butane as my solvent. I can overcome the flammability by being well-educated before embarking on the process, but I can’t really combat the “it’s illegal” part.

2 Likes

So my plan is to use this in two ways. Firstly I want to use the nice golden upper layer as a tincture (once it evaporates a bit more). I have some dropper bottles on the way… Secondly I want to use the bottom layer of the thicker residue and dark oils inside of capsules. I’m thinking of combining that stuff with some finely ground decarbed flower and then into the capsules. Would a dose of that in a 00 sized capsule be reasonable? Or should I be looking into a smaller size? Thanks for all your advice thus far :+1:t3: