Quick question on tap water

Just checked my PH and PPM’s in my tap water. PH was 9.1 and the ppms were 438. Just started new grow how should i proceed when adding nutes, how do i compensate for the high ppms? @beardless just need a little advice!

Goal P.H 6.5 and PPM at 1000 plus start number (12-1500) would be full feed, maybe.
For soil, which is what I have. Small changes over time as you get there. Advice is also dependent upon what stage your grow is using what soils. Good growing to you. My city water is 8.6-9 and 150-250.

1 Like

Sounds like you need a water filter. My tapwater is similar. It comes in at 8 ph and 400+ppm. Smells like chlorine. I use RO from the grocery store fill station. Its about 1.50 for 5 gallons. You will want to find out if you have chlorine or chloramines in your water. If chlorine you can remove it in a few ways. The easiest is to allow the water to sit in a bucket for 24 hrs so the chlorine can off gas. Other options include, a filter or

This takes 0.15ml for 5 gallons of water. If chloramine is present, a filter is the only option I am aware but be warned not all “Brita” type filters will remove chloramine so be choosy. If you can get your ppm to around 250-300 it will allow you more room for feed. That being said you could go half tap half RO (as long as no chloramine in tap)
Did that make sense?

3 Likes

A lot of us that grow a lot put RO systems up. You get zero PPM water with no (or neutral) pH.

3 Likes

If you go that route how do you get your ppm up without over feeding if using soil?

2 Likes

I adjust as necessary to get a consistent runoff PPM around 1,000.

2 Likes

You can always catch rain water it is free

3 Likes

When using RO or Distilled you need to add calmag to bring the water up to 250-300ppm. This required on water only days to make water PH stable. If not your medium will adjust the ph of your water vs what you want which is the ph of your water to adjust the medium.

1 Like

I live in a city, can’t recommend catching the rainwater and using it for plants you intend to consume.

2 Likes

Awesome, been wondering what to add if i got a small ro system. Appreciate it!

1 Like

I am Groot!

1 Like

Lmao thought it was perfect for here…

1 Like

I am sorry i live in a small town in Virginia where the air is clean

1 Like

I wish I still lived in a clean air part of any state. I love AZ but Im tired of living in The PHX metro.
Im a lil peanut butter and jealous

Always wanted to visit AZ have never got around too

Its very beutiful here, hotter then hell itself in the summer but the rest of the year it is just gorgeousness! The Grand Canyon is a cool place to visit but Sedona is by far the most wonderful place Ive been here. Montezuma’s castle pretty cool spot also.

I bubble a 5 gallon bucket, for a couple of days (min 1-day).
Oxygenated water may help clones and plants.

1 Like

My roof has ZINC strips, so PNW GREEN wont grow. Seagulls visit and deposit sea shells or shit.

I have done that and now, with summer humidity, I use a lot of water from three dehumidifiers. I easily pull 20 liters a day.

2 Likes

You have nasty hard water. Filter, RO or dehumidifier to bring ppms down. Absent that, may have to back off on nutrients. Rather than 100% of recommended amount use a lesser %. For example, I use Jacks and because recent runoff numbers were high, I fed at 75% (ppm of 850 - 900).

1 Like