Quick question on drying

I cut down my ak-47 last Thursday and it was super gooy and full of tricomes. I have it hanging in my shed with fans going so there is constant air movement. I notice that some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow. Should I jar it up? The stem doesn’t really snaps but just bends. It is close but dealing with high humidity in my area and don’t want it to rot away.

@Smokin_ernie drying and curing is as much an art as growing your plant. It takes practice and patience and a few mess ups to get it right. I’ve messed up a lot of weed learning how to dry and cure, and I’m still only ok at it. but for my self I hang the the whole plant until the out side of the bud is kinda crispy but still moist inside, then I trim and jar. Temps 50-65 are great rh at 50-65 are about the best I can get. I’ve tried wet trim and dungeon cure but if your temps and rh are not stable and perfect it’s gonna be bad. There are a ton of videos on utube about dry trim check some of them out.

1 Like

I usualy wait until the small stems snap but I have also jarred them up when they didn’t snap. The key is to monitor the humidity when in the jars especially the first few weeks to be sure there isn’t a lot of moisture in the jars. I would give it a few more days then check them again.
I picked up a few of these hydrometers, they fit right into the jars and makes it easy to monitor the humidity level.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXOKQVW/ref=asc_df_B00JXOKQVW5125068/?tag=greenrel-20

2 Likes

And if you want to use this in your grow tent, or your jar, or whereve, this will tell you what happened while you’re gone.
Wireless Thermometer / Hygrometer for iPhone / Android -…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_dWgLzb285A3DT?tag=greenrel-20

3 Likes

I went old school with the paper bag method and it did a great job each time. I could also employ an accurate scale and monitor the loss of moisture over time and compare it against ambient humidity.

2 Likes

Rookie here, so take it for what it’s worth. I would get the Boveda packs, and toss one in each jar, and just check them each day. You at least have a controlled environment. You can keep the temp lower inside than in a shed, so less chance of mold/mildew. I can’t see a downside.

1 Like

I just bought some Boveda packs! We’ll see how well they work . . .

I have yet to cure my first grow, but I have used the 62% packs for some time. I swear by them. Check with a hygrometer, one in a jar with a pack and without.

1 Like

If you get some flowers that are not properly cured, dried out, too moist etc. they work. I have checked in a C-vault and they are spot on after about a week. If you have it anywhere close (check with hygro in a jar with no pack) it’ll be at the right humidity in no time, and stay there during the cure.

I got one for 9.99. look around.

1 Like

I purchased mine a few years ago I picked up 4 of them so I should be good for a while but I’ll definitely shop around next time. Thanks for the tip👍

@Myfriendis410 First time drying could you explain how to use a paper bag for drying. Thanks in advance

After your initial drying and before final curing in jars, place manicured bud in lunch bags (brown or white) and fold over the top and carefully weigh the total. Write it on the bag. Monitor your ambient humidity and use your environment to dictate the point at which you wish to stop drying. It is almost inevitable that you will trim bud before it’s completely dried, so now you can weigh the bags and see the moisture loss expressed as weight. It’s really pretty cool. The paper bag slows down the moisture exchange.

1 Like

There is a ton of great info in the grow bible and also on the site

I don’t endorse the oven method as I feel like any time you rush the process you lose flavor. Just my ,02

@Gonnatry2

1 Like

Do you own this? @Covertgrower

Can you elaborate on your experiences!

1 Like

I don’t yet @bob31, I’m going to get it probably in a couple of more weeks. I researched a lot on this type of device, and this one was the one that had the best reviews, and add on accessories. Meaning it can be linked directly through the internet, to expand beyond the 30ft Bluetooth limitation. I will be the first to tag you when it arrives!

2 Likes

I am very much interested in this, so please do. I currently have a remote outdoor thermometer but the sending unit won’t transmit from inside the tent to the receiver because of the mylar. It is within the maximum range but the mylar is too much for it.

My grow is in a shed in the back yard about 50 feet away and the receiver will receive to about 40 feet. So I’m looking for another option! @Covertgrower

2 Likes