Quick question for anyone

@Macadon, sounds like it’s got good nutrients in it for sure, hope not too many fungus gnats though

1 Like

Fungus gnats come from a area that stays moist and humid all the time with little to no ventilation

2 Likes

Thanks @DissidentPriest for your help​:grinning::grinning: that does sound crazy but I’m going to try it

Just put about an inch deep of water in the ziplock bags.

Your welcome!

1 Like

@Macadon make sure you put some access holes in that ziplock so the gnats can get inside. Just hanging a closed bag with water in it won’t do any good if the gnats can’t get to the water and drown.

1 Like

OK thanks @GrowManFitz do you think just leaving the bags open will do

@Macadon better to close the bag and add 3 dime size holes on each size. It will keep the water from evaporating too quickly and make it harder for the gnats to get out.

1 Like

OK I’m doing it right now. Thanks @GrowManFitz

1 Like

No problem. Also, with the apple cider vinegar, I like putting it in a bowl and covering with plastic wrap… which I then put 3-4 dime size holes in. Just makes it harder for the gnats to escape and pretty much ensures they will drown in the vinegar. I’ve used this trick with fruit and vegetable grows.

Basically the same thing as what @DissidentPriest is doing in his kitchen… I just like using the plastic wrap to make it harder for the gnats to escape. Not sure it’s absolutely necessary though.

1 Like

Definitely will try it anything to keep them off my babies thanks again @GrowManFitz

That’s because F&F is to hot for seedlings. I used to use and had nothing but trouble and i started researching soil and what i was reading reminded me of my parents on the vegg farm mixing there soil in witch i used to help them do and the rest is history for me and use i use no nutrients i make my own soil. And one other thing is that F&F isnortoris for having bugs in their soil " it’s a fact " so what i can sugest to you is find " Here i’ll do you better " here is a list of things you’ll need to get but not right now ok
et your self a bad of clean soil meaning very little nutrients he stuff or soil i am using right now has 0.5 0.3 0.2 can be used for seedling, Now for the fun part ready lol

REmember to let soil dry out prior to watering. Watering is key. A good rule of thumb is try to touch the plants less and keep notes of what you are doing. If you don’t know what you did to mess things up, how will you know how to fix it???

1.) Organic potting soil

2.) Worm Castings

3.) Azomite

4.) Epson Salt

5.) Bone Meal

6.) Dolomite

7.) Humic Acids ( Are very highly recommened.
Apply as recommened Usually a couple of tablespoons

8.) Bat Guano

9.) and a bag of Perlite

you only need buy what you will use and if you have any thing left over and you will just save it.

hope this helps

Will

2 Likes

OK that’s a lot but I thought the ffof had most of those ingredients. @garrigan62 I guess you were referring to the fact mine might have bugs in it my bad.

I do alot of reading and i ear people tallk about it al the time or they are woundering
why their plants look all burent.

Yes maybe the same, but still different ,the thing you don’t have and they do is nutrients
that last up to 3 month even up to 6 month and then everybody adds their own nutrients and the rest of the story is history…

Will

1 Like

You will have an advantage cause you ad nutrients when the plants ask for it.
I also make my own tea using bone and blood meal and fish meal

Will

1 Like

OK I understand what you saying. This is my first grow I guess I should save that for the next one huh? What do you think about adding 1/4 every gallon of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to kill the bugs that might be in the soil @garrigan62

Not sure about that but if you cook it in the oven @ 150 but don’t let it go over 180 you’ll be ok or mic crowave it on high for 2 min’s i have a list of all kinds of ways to clean your soil of bugs

2 Likes

OK sounds good cause I have a whole bag of that ffof. I won’t bug you for tat list tonight but maybe down the line😉 thanks you guys on this site are very helpful @garrigan62

@Macadon NO!! The ziplocks are not to trap the gnats. Do not poke holes in them. The jars of apple vinegar will draw, catch, and drown the gnats. The bags of water, make flie and gnats think they are going to fly into water and they will not fly under them.

3 Likes

The bag of water is crazy how it works the guy I know who did that was a 75 year old mechanic who put penny in it and hung it in every bay door . Hardly ever a fly in the shop not sure how or why that works but it does. When I started getting nats I put a fan blowing directly on the soil and left it that seemed to help a lot

1 Like

OK @DissidentPriest I understand now because I woke up this morning and the bags with the holes didn’t catch nothing so I’ll change it when I get home. Thanks