Questions before flipping to flower

I am going to flip to flower this weekend. I have a question regarding light leaks…my tent is on the laundry side of my basement and lights out will be from 6pm-6am since that works the best. I am using a passive intake on my tent, if I were to go in there and flip a light on will that be detrimental?

I could completely seal up the tent but not sure if that will give it adequate fresh air? Not sure how airtight a sealed tent is…

I obviously have negative pressure in the tent.

1 Like

You shouldn’t turn lights on while in dark in tentb
you could stand in tent with the laundry room light on while tent is in dark period to inspect for light leaks seal
As needed
You will need to wait about 10 minuets or so after entering tent to give your eye time to adjust

3 Likes

Most of the time light will enter through those passive vents. You can try building a light trap to go around them if need be.

3 Likes

Good call on passive vents @dbrn32
@dmykins use the one farthest away from a light source as well

2 Likes

@dbrn32 @Countryboyjvd1971

Ideally we won’t be doing much in there during lights out, but just as a precaution.

If I were to completely seal up all the passive intakes to the tent but still run a fan for negative pressure would fresh air still get in?

2 Likes

I would think youd still pull some air threw zippers and what not but probably not enough to get a good air circulation going
Best would be to build light trap as @dbrn32 suggested and keep
Passive vent open
If you can buy some black plastic you can build a temp wall infront of tent as well ? Just a thought that popped into my head ?

3 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971

Not a bad thought with the temp wall. I will look into that or building a light trap.

In a perfect world we wouldn’t really need to be in there during lights out, but things happen.

3 Likes

You can do so fairly easily with bending up and taping some cardboard. I’m sure you could get a lot more fancy with it too.

1 Like

@dbrn32

I’ll look into it, simple always works for me!

2 Likes

Look at it like a u shaped box with 90 degree corners
@dmykins for light trap or a j shape as long as you dont have direct line of site light doesnt bend well around corners lol

1 Like

So I flipped to 12/12 on Saturday, I assume I will see the plant stretch. With that said, can the lights be closer in flower? I am using a 600W Meizhi LED light. It is about 22" away from the top of the plant.

2 Likes

@dmykins I personally set my lights high 28-36 inches depends on the plants durning the streach period and allow my plant to grow up into it after then when tbey stop streaching you can get closer tho
I dont recommend getting closee than 18 inches tho

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 has you pretty much set. I’d like to add that you can kind of manipulate your height to see what you want. If you want to fight stretch, keeping the light a little closer and adjusting regularly to maintain distance would probably help. If you want a little stretch to get your colas up off of canopy some then running light a little higher will do that.

There’s not exactly a set way, both have some benefits. Comes down to how much room you have and what you’re trying to do.

2 Likes

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

1 Like