Questions And Advice Would Be Appreciated On My Setup

Ok folks, first of all, I want to thank those in advance that can offer some answers and or advice.

I am new to growing. My AK-47 Auto seeds are on the way. A friend gave me a couple of seeds and I started one just to check my system.

First let me tell you the stats of my tent, lights, ventilation.
I have a VIVOSUN 48"x24"x60" grow tent.

I have a iPlantop 1000W Triple Chip LED light.

And my ventilation is a 118 CFM Goplus Inline Duct Fan with a G-HYDRO 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter.

I have an interesting setup (for me anyways).

I have 5 gal fabric pots with clay pebbles lining about 3-4 inches on the bottom. I then put in large coffee cans with the bottoms cut out and put those in the center and filled in clay pebbles around them. I put soil inside of the coffee cans. My idea is that it will give the roots something to hold onto while letting the water/nutrient mixture drain. I have the pots on stands raised about 3 inches above the bottom of the tote and I have small pumps circulating the water/nutrient mixture via halo rings. You will see all of this in the pictures.

My biggest questions are about lighting. First of all, I want to make sure I have enough light but even more so I need to know how high to keep the light above the plants. I’ve read a million different things online but I really hadnt found anything specific to 1000W LED.

That is really my biggest question. Other than that I would appreciate any advice you wonderful people could give me before my good seeds arrive from ILGM. So far I am so happy with ILGM.

Only other thing I know to mention is that for this first grow I am using the Foxfarm Trio for fertilizer (Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom).

Let me know what you think, please.

3 Likes

That light may be a bit much for seedlings. They don’t require much, a 6500k fluorescent bulb a couple inches away will be all you need for the first few weeks.

2x4 can be tricky with the temp/exhaust. I also have a 2x4 and just sent back a 6in ac infinity bc neither can give me enough power for negative pressure. Starting to think it’s the carbon filter. Might be clogged

Thats why I have it raised so high. But im worried that i will make the plant stretch.

That motor and filter sucks the sides of the tent in even with one of my vents fully open and only at about 3/4 speed. I figure it should do. It does sound like you have a clogged filter.

1 Like

I didn’t have any luck starting with LED lights . Switched to T5 fluorescents and have had great results. Even the spiral bulbs work just fine .

I’ll certainly make a note of that. For the plant, I have growing I just germinated the seed via the paper towel method and when the taproot was about 1/4" long I put it about 3/4" under the soil and it was poking up within about 1 1/2 days. If I have issues with the good seeds I will certainly switch over.

2 Likes

I love my 2x4. 67 to 77 degrees and no more than 50%RH ever. I run a 4 inch 200 cfm fan and have 1 and a half vents open. I keep three plants at diffrent stages in there. 1 photo and 2 autos normally.

1 Like

What kind of light are you using?

2 marshydro ts 1000s. At 16inch I have keep them turned down a bit. My nugs are dense.

1 Like

I use my HLG 260xl Rspec lights once my seeds are in my grow bucket and straight into my grow tent. I have a 4x4x80” and lights running full blast…the seeds grow fine for me.

2 Likes

So am I going to be way under lit for 2 plants?

Unfortunately your light is 180watts, not 1000. It will still grow a plant, but only a small plant with a 3sqft canopy. You can always buy additional lights as you grow, and there are affordable options like the Mars Hydro mentioned already.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

https://www.amazon.com/iPlantop-Growing-Spectrum-Adjustable-Replace/dp/B07F872N6Z?tag=greenrel-20

Is this your light? This light is only 180watts. For the size of the tent I believe you will be under lit.

3 Likes

What filter do you have again

If you’re sucking air through the filter and out of tent and tent sucks in, even with a vent flap open, add an input air flow fan. Mine’s in tent with a vent tubing running out a vent port. I added cheese cloth to filter incoming air. Between that air coming in and air being sucked out thru filter separately now I can achieve balanced airflow and helps with cooling. I’m rocking a Mars Hydro TS2000W. :smirk:

1 Like

Drip ring above the plant will cause trunk rot

Try to make a mound so the plant can sit above it

1 Like

Sorry guys for the slow reply. Im a newbie on the forums and it limits my amount of posts. You have no idea how much I wanted to continue the conversation but couldnt.

Yikes. Would 2 of them be enough or should I got an entirely different route? Unfortunately God did not bless me with money or good looks so that is an issue. I want to remain LED because my better half would kill me if I went to the HPS lights. LoL

This is the filter I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VKJG4DQ/?tag=greenrel-20

This is the fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073S54DDV/?tag=greenrel-20

2 x 4 - 8sq ft / 180 watts - 22.5w/sq ft…

Add 2 more of those lights to the area and you’ll be able to flower, 2 for veg