Questionable Medium: Interesting or too much?

4th grow here :partying_face: I’m trying to sneak in another grow before going on a year hiatus. With that being said, I had some mediums that I got rid of as a cocktail and preventative agent. So, these are the ingredients:

*in 7 gallon bags
1/2 bag of fox farms coco loco
1 1/2 gallons of coco coir each
1/2 bag of fox farms happy frog soil
Additional perlite (unsure measurements)
3/4th box of insect frass (abt 2 cups, split)
7 teaspoons of Mycorrhizal Fungi each
4 teaspoons of recharge each
5 teaspoons of Diatomaceous earth each

I used the frass as a fertilizer/immune builder. I also put diatomaceous earth as a pest preventative. Insect frass kind of does the same, pests don’t like the taste. Here’s today’s pics, day 16 from sprout. (30 mins before lights out.)

4 Likes

I don’t know anything about mixing soil. But they look happy and healthy. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I love that you mad scientist your soil. You never know when you’re going to stumble upon the next greatest thing. What a boring world we would live in if everyone did what the last person did.
I mix with no rhyme or reason. Usually 1/2 of whatever soil i have laying around, some coco, some perlite sometimes some peat. Basically whatever i have laying around. However i do find myself chasing ph at times but at the end of the day it grows plants.

2 Likes

I will eyeball my ph as well. Last grow i didn’t run into many ph issues, and i usually caught them beforehand. I started training on them already, so i wanted to build up the medium before using my nutes.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback!

1 Like

Definitely keep an eye on the ph. Soil and coco mixes can get wonky. Looks like you have much more soil (coco loco/happy frog) than coco so you may be fine.

2 Likes

I don’t want to keep opening up topics, but i really don’t know if I’ll get replies after my general post. But, okay, I’ll ask anyway:

I’m trying scrog for the first time (like the real thing and not just an attempt at skeletal structure.) I have Black Widow and Skywalker OG training at this point (@ 5 nodes I topped Skywalker and took off 2 fan leaves to expose lower side branches; I only took off 2 side leaves for Black Widow. Not ready for topping). Should I do a 4-top method, top those 4 into 8, then start netting? Or should I make 8-16 tops before net? Working in a 2×4, current situation.

2 Likes

With 2 plants in there I would on top once per plant. A scrog will quickly fill a 2x4 with two plants. This plant in the back is a single top. That is a 2.5x2.5 scrog.

3 Likes

Ur mix is interesting ,but if u have half gallon of coco loco and one half gallons of coco coir which will being you to two gallons of coco coir cause coco loco is the same thing i believe but thats good the frass is a good fertilizer i would of mixed in half bag worm castings and alfalfa meal and fish bone meal,kelp meal and bat guano and volcanic rock dust fertilizer ,but what you have done is working for you ur plants look healthy and happy hope it goes well for you. If you want a good soil mix i would be glad to help you in the future just ask fam

1 Like

Coco loco is to be treated like soil. Because it is, with some coco mixed in.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback! I was definitely winging it, but I have done research on the separate ingredients. I usually just use happy frog as a seedlings starter and stick with coco loco as a transplant medium, but I was just trying to use up my last mediums before taking a break. I started with fungi and recharge last grow and had great results with transplanting and HST. I was annoyed that I got thrips the first grow and I could not get rid of them, even with the dreaded neem oil, so I now use diatomaceous earth in my tent and in my soil. Insect frass was kind of my ‘introductory to fertilizer’ in my soil, but it also doubles down on the pest control, as well as just building up the immune system and promotes root growth.

I will definitely be looking for tips on building my own soil, so I will be looking for you!

1 Like

It seems like you prefer to do your own thing,which is awesome but it might be worth your time to look into earth dust. I’ve never used it but I’ve been watching a few growers here that do with darn good results

1 Like

I will be glad to help you with a soil mix and what else you need help with ,if you want tea recipes for ur plants i have two good ones you can try

Yah im not familiar with Coco loco but the name suggests its coco coir well thats what i thought anyway thanks for explaining the difference between normal coco coir and Coco loco

1 Like

That’s why people get in trouble with coco loco. They ph it as coco. Very misleading name.

It is a very misleading name i would of ph it for coco myself .But we dont get fox farm products here is Australia as far as i know so i dont have much to do with it

2 Likes

How do teas work? I’ve seen videos of people brewing their own teas in buckets and feeding that to the plants. Do that stand in as standalone nutes, or in addition? As of right now, the only thing I’ve used on the plants is recharge, silica, and sugar daddy from technaflora, Sunday. I also have the success kit from technaflora that I want to use out (used last grow), but won’t necessarily buy again in for the next grow.

Ok there are two teas that i do one is a nutrient tea its manly for veg stage and i do a banana tea ,now what a nutrient tea does it gives ur plant NPK and other minerals and nutrients .this is the recipe for making the nutrient tea.

1. get a paint strainer bag or a stocking and grab a ten ltr or 20 ltr bucket.
    2)put four cups of worm castings and then put two and half cups of a good organic compost now i do this next bit as a extra if u have it i add half cup fish bone meal and kelp meal u would put half cup kelp meal put it all in the bag or stocking fill the bucket with water now place ur bag in the bucket now put a air stone in the bucket and with a air pump bubble the tea for 24-30 hours once done remove bag and water ur plants this will give the lota nitrogen and phosphorus potassium and magnesium and calcium .Now the banana tea keep the skins from four bananas fill a bucket with water put the air stones in the bucket and start bubbling the water now cut up the banana skins into smaller pieces place into bag and place into water add two tablespoons of molasses bubble it for 24 hours then once bubbled add 20mls of fish shit and feed ur plants this is great for flowering stage it has lots of potassium and phosphorus and calcium this will help with bigger flowers
1 Like

Thank you for the thorough information, I’ve been reading this tidbit repeatedly and trying to see if I can get all of this, my Amazon cart/wish list is looking kind of crazy lol. By any chance, is there an easier way to slide into this step? Like what did you do beforehand or what kind of “noobie brew” would you recommend if I couldn’t do this correctly? This is some intermediate/expert stuff (great stuff, may I add)

A little off topic, how do you feel about molasses in grows? My grow buddy recommended some things in my nute box, including brix molasses.

How early have you train your girls? Over the years I have gotten better in training, but I feel like I need a better method. I try to train early as I can, starting at the 5th node. I kind of ‘combination train’… I top the 5th node while moving 2 fan leaves away to grow out the lower side nodes… im trying to start low because I ran into height issues in the tent. Any tips that you could provide? Current situation, Day 19.

Last situation, I had 3 plants, only could fit 2…

2 Likes