Question pertaining to an Organic Grow

I’m going to try my hand this spring on my outdoor grow at using Organic Nutrients. My question is what would I use in place of Cal/Mag? Or is it necessary for this type of grow? I do not know anything about organic grows. I’ve worked thirty years in an synthetic fertilizer manufacturing plant. So I know that end of growing! My wife, and daughter are wanting me to go Organic.

1 Like

Are you planning on building a living soil? Or buy organic potting mix and grow?

A well balanced organic media will likely not need cal mag.

2 Likes

Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to 5 gallon pot for Mag.

Egg shells for calcium, the finer you pulverize then the more immediately available the calcium is. Larger pieces would be slow release.

I made supersoil and grew outdoors in raised beds and in pots.

If you can plant in the ground you won’t have to add hardly anything. I did casting tea a few times just because, but my inground pants did not show a single issue.

3 Likes

Thanks guys for the answers to my questions. Some of the plants will be in the ground, and some in fabric bags in soil. I’ll post a pic of soil. It’s what I’ve been using. Great to hear about the eggs. We raise our own eggs. So that’s easy enough, and as far as the rosin salt, another easy fix.

Is the soil I posted suitable for organic?

1 Like

I can’t comment on its organic qualities, but anything that says it has timed released nutrients is a no-go.

2 Likes

I’ll have to regroup, and go purchase a Organic soil. Thanks

1 Like

That soil has worked very well for me in the past.

No. It’s got synthetic fertilizer in it and any soil that says either: ‘Needs no fertilizer for 3 months!’ or ‘Moisture Control’ you need to worry.

Just imagine what the right soil would do haha.

2 Likes

What do you recommend as the right soil? I’m always open for information!

1 Like

Organic has you limited. I would have suggested Fox Farms Ocean Forest: it’s buffered for cannabis and has everything the plant needs up to flower. If it has any synthetic ingredients it’s minimal. Mostly things like kelp, bat guano, bone meal, worm castings etc.

This is the number one choice for cannabis soil.

Will order it today! Thanks again, the help is greatly appreciated!! Man after putting both my kids through private school, one through Dental School, the other now about to wrap up a Chemical Engineering degree by making synthetic fertilizers. It sure is hard on this ole southern boy to say the word Organics!! :joy: But my wife, and daughter wants me to start using Organics on their smoke! :man_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

I have to tell you that the smoothest and best tasting/potency I’ve done is in hydro. Just an FYI. But VERY hard to run organics in hydro.

1 Like

I keep hearing folks talk about hydro. No doubt about it, I’ll have to give it a shot! I will keep it in mind about using Organics though.

I got six bags in. Will start the grow with them as soon as my new 520w redspec comes in.

3 Likes

You are gonna do great. You might pick up a little seed starter mix from your local nursery supply: look for something that is nutrient free and has no moisture control additives. This is essentially what I do will my seeds when I drop em in to Promix. (Not a fan of Rapid Rooters)

1 Like

Thanks for your help on an organic setup.

1 Like

as for cal/mag… you can also brew teas that have those sources in there. i haven’t done it yet myself but my plan is to brew a few mild teas throughout the grow as an ounce of prevention. teas mostly feed your soil so that your soil can do a better job of feeding your plant, but you can add some actual nutrients that will be readily available instead of needing time to break down in your soil

i do have a question for others though, @Myfriendis410, @AAA … there are organic liquid products on the market. are these suitable for use in supersoil or are they still somehow dangerous to the critters living in the soil?

i picked this up before i realized Roots organics also has.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWQNYYC/?tag=greenrel-20

good luck with your grow AgentOrange, will be watching!

1 Like

Thanks for the link bud. I’ll get some on order. I’ve got five different strains of photos that will be grown in the ground, and have five strains of autos that will be grown in the soil that Myfriendis410 recommended(FFOF). I’ve already purchased the Dr Earth nutrients. All those grows will start in the spring.

1 Like

wait to order it… i want to make sure it’s compatible with living soil. just because it’s organic, not sure it means it’s still good. i bought a ton of stuff in a panic the last few weeks when i started having issues haha.

i’ve heard great things about Dr Earth!

1 Like