Question...hopefully not stupid

for what it’s worth and frustration saved I store all my meters in calibration fluids the instant I grab meter I turn it on if it reads ± .1 of calibrated it’s good to go. I simply keep them in measuring cups and check that the liquid stays about same level all the time if I need to calibrate then I dump old replace with new and set meter. This preserves meter and makes for accuracy at glance

3 Likes

@Donaldj

The second PH meter I purchased came with much more details on storing it and solutions, so that is perfect. The TDS meter on the other hand is a different story…is there a specific solution to calibrate the TDS meter?

I have a ppm meter which lets me select scale and EC or PPM but bottles of cal solution are quite cheap at $1 for 100ml when takes around 30ml to set and store they are quite easy to set and I use a 800ppm solution and a 1200ppm to confirm accuracy

2 Likes

@Donaldj

So I should look at an 800 and 1200ppm solution to check for accuracy and storage?

1 Like

either solution works to cal but I like to cross reference to confirm it’s set also can be stored in distilled water which saves accuracy longer

1 Like

@Donaldj

I will get some before my next grow. You mentioned you use the pH meter if it is + or - .1. Say you put it in 7 calibration fluid and it reads 7.1, do you use that as a benchmark? So if you want a PH of 6.5 you actually shoot for 6.6?

lol if it reads within .1 worst case I am that far out and typically I set ph of nutrients close to target not exactly at target because you can get caught in a back and forth battle with ph adjusters which in turn throws off ppm of solution. To adjust ph we add and acid or a base both of which have their own ppm level which they add to solution so I aim to get into my target range more than exact number you can easily add 400ppm messing around with up and down trying to get ph perfect number

2 Likes

@Donaldj

That makes sense. Again I never messed with the ppm meter.

Bud is bud my friend

1 Like

@Donaldj

Here’s another random question you may be able to shed light on…so I watered my plants yesterday and notice after watering it seems as though the dirt underneath the top layer was still dry…I have my plants in 3 gallon smart pots and I probably used 3/4 of a gallon on one pot and it seemed as though the water comes out of the side and it just moistens the top layer, but seems it doesn’t work it’s way from top to bottom…does that make sense?

water slowly from center take your time as it moistens top it soaks in faster surface tension soil tend like dry clay won’t absorb water fast so you water slow and methodically not rushed but shouldn’t be a major issue since the medium should be able to wick water up from the bottom

3 Likes

@Donaldj

That’s what gets me is the water tension on the surface
…I guess I never though there was an art to watering lol.

3 Likes

@Donaldj

I just checked the trichomes and they are still all milky, will they turn amber even though I am lacking fan leaves?

Yes. But there are some strains or some instances where I have seen folks say they didn’t change. Since the color change is the effect of degrading thc in a ripened plant it eventually has to happen.

2 Likes

@Stomper

Looks like I will hold off on the harvest for now.

2 Likes