Question for Fellow Growers on Mollasses

I have a question i have been feeding molasses 2 TBSP per gallon every other feeding. But i have developed Purple stems and found a article on stuff stoners like that says it should be more like a Tsp per Gallon . My question is did to much Molasses cause the Purple ? As of now i am going to back off the molasses until i hear back thanks .

Honestly the purplish color stems is really in some strain genetics but I’m not sure if it sativa are indica I read that , but yeah a teaspoon should be enough per gallon , molasses works like cal - mag in similarity for soil and coco coir mediums .

Strain is gold leaf

Did you post about those problems on another thread? I just read another thread about purple stems and I believe temperature will cause plants to turn purple. I have did some looking into colored strains and people will chill their plants to turn them purple. I am growing gold leaf as well right now and my stems have been purple sometimes as well. I know it’s not due to cold. They have seen quite a bit of stress but she’s looking healthy now and the stems definitely have a purple hue to them.

I use molasses too… 1 teaspoon per gallon solely for the purpose of the Cal and mag in it… the one I use (Brer Rabbit) has 8% of each in it according to the label… I read that the sugar content in the molasses does nothing for our plants.

I also read that’s its best to use the one with out sulfur in it

1 Like

Yes, use non-sulfur for sure. Sulfur kills the bacteria you’re trying to feed. I read that Whole Foods has a great product.

I have purplish stems on a white widow and an O.G.Kush plant that are in full flower and I think it’s just genetics cause the plant has no signs of stress are defiencies , so if it’s not broke I don’t fix it , I just let them do they growing until I physically see signs of issues within the leaves than I make changes accordingly to finding out what the problem could be by reading on what defiencies it could be and what will fix it . But if you apply the Lucas formula when feeding nutrients you won’t run into many issues in veg nor bloom stage .

Molasses personally has no benefits for your plants, despite what you here, it doesn’t enhance smell taste or potency. (I know it wasn’t mentioned just thought I might throw that out there)

1 Like

Please explain the use and benefits in your opinion . As I thought it was for feeding soil and the plant for taste and size … I am interested in knowing the real benefits .

The sugar molecule is to large for a plant root system to absorb for any benefits to the plants chlorophyll or photosynthesis for energy , so molasses does feed the micro organisms larvae in the soil and help balance your calcium and iron levels needed in soil or coco but the plant cannot use it as any type of sweetener or potency enhancements . There are other additives for that but molasses is not one of them .

For plants there is no benefits really

1 Like

@Majiktoker let me say that more specific , there are additives to help with terpenes and resin production but not actually sweetened buds . Potency has to do with the actual strain not what you feed it , hope I sai this more correctly .

@majictoker , so molasses isnt good for the cal and mag in it? the bottle says it has 8% of each in it…i dont mind stop using it, if its for the right reason

It will help supplement your calcium and iron the same as cal mag but we are saying it will not make your buds sweet . Yes it’s good for soil and coco coir growing to supplement molasses instead of Calmag , but it has no other benefits than giving balance for calcium and iron in your soil or soilless medium .

With respect @yoshi, I disagree I’ll find a post from way earlier on about molasses…

Growing Marijuana Forum by Robert Bergman’s I Love Growing Marijuana

Black strap molasses during flower. Your thoughts on it?
Beginner

5 / 9

kabongster
Aug 171
If MacG gives advice, I take the advice…and garrigan62, same advice!

Question about molasses
Seeds, Soil & Fertilizer
Question from a fellow grower: my question is about molasses…when and how much should I use? And do I use it when it’s time to flush…? How I can I add flavor, how is it developed?

Majiktoker
ILGM Grow Mentor
Aug 17
“help in sweeting your final product and INCREASE your quality/yield big time. You will notice the difference trust me !! BUds are noticably bigger stickyier(is that a word?) and SWEETER… …”

Make buds sweeter no it doesn’t really buds sweeter and as for mollasses just my opinion I wouldn’t reccomend it but that’s my opinion

Majiktoker
ILGM Grow Mentor
Aug 171
Molasses
Molasses, a highly viscous by-product of sugar refinement, is a great supplement for improving your garden. Molasses is rich in both micro- and macro- nutrients, is a great source of carbohydrates for soil microbes, and subsequently boosts the structure and moisture retention of the medium, and encourages growth of beneficial organisms. Molasses also aids in the reduction of salt build up, which is a common cause of nutritional problems, and is a useful insect repellent. While microbes thrive on the sugars in molasses, ingesting molasses for an insect is imminent death (Excluding Sugar Ants and Bees).

Not all molasses is the same, however. Some are made to a lesser quality, and may contain preservatives and other chemical additives that are unwanted in the garden. There are two types of molasses: Sulphured and Unsulphured. While both of types do contain sulphur, the major distinction is that sulphured molasses contains sulphur dioxide, which acts as a preservative and anti-microbial substance. This means that sulphured molasses will actually kill the microbes you are trying to feed. So make sure that you only use unsulphured, organic molasses. There are three grades of molasses, from lighter to darker: mild (a.k.a Barbados), dark, and blackstrap. Blackstrap molasses is preferred for its higher mineral and vitamin content. Blackstrap is high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, and micronutrients.

There are multiple ways to incorporate molasses into your garden. It is often used as part of a regular feeding schedule, in foliar sprays, composts and compost teas, and during soil preparation. Dosage is determined by personal experience: Each garden and plant is different, some may prefer a larger or smaller dosage depending on their environment, health, size, and age/stage. To be safe, using a starting point of 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of molasses per gallon (3.8 liter) of water for feedings is a good rule of thumb. It is recommended to increase molasses dosage as the flower stage progresses, as the plant will require more potassium. Using small dosages will help prevent any unnecessary risks such as stress or nutrient burn, and allow you to correctly determine a favorable future dosage. For use as an insecticidal foliar spray, 1 teaspoon (5ml) per gallon is recommended.*Mix molasses in lukewarm water before adding to reservoir, bucket, or spray bottle to allow it to fully dissolve.

There’s also Dry molasses, which isn’t actually dried molasses – It’s a grain residue carrier that has been drenched in liquid molasses. Dry molasses contains more sugar than liquid molasses, but can’t be mixed into water. It’s recommended to apply 1 lbs. of dried molasses per 50 sq. ft.

The benefits of molasses will be most noticed during the flowering period. Molasses can also be added/combined with other organic liquid fertilizers and sprays, such as compost teas, kelp, alfalfa, and milk. It is also safe to use molasses at the same time as nutrient feeds, however it may subsequently cause fluctuation in soil pH, so it is important to remember to check run-off pH. Using molasses on just-water days or during a flush is also beneficial.

For the outdoor grower, it’s important to note that molasses is commonly used by hunters to attract game, so be aware of your local wildlife, or they may end up eating your crop!

Here is some info hope this helps

IE; Original post from Oaksterdam Uni.

Copied/pasted/posted by Majiktoker

1 Like

** For use as an insecticidal foliar spray**

Not sure about this one, I tried it once and it I think it attacted fruit flies I had a small infestation of fungus gnat looking bugs right after using it in a foliar spray for the first time. I first time I grew I did not use any nutes except for some molasses. I could see it being beneficial to the micro-organisms in the soil for sure.

Well again I do not recommend using molasses at all for cannabis plants it’s not beneficial and in fact actually attracts the pests your trying to keep out

3 Likes

@Edward7983 I’ve been reading up on Molasses for cannabis growing and from what I’ve gathered we want non-sulpher blackstrap molasses. I tap per gallon. I don’t know how often to use it. Any suggestions.
Thanks