Question about stabilising bad genetic traits

From a fellow grower: question regarding stabilizing bad genetic traits. I have a Blueberry kush strain (which is mostly an OG kush pheno) that has a very nice trait that I would rather not lose, BUT it is very finicky and is prone to herming out (once it seeded, once it did not). I’m curious if it’s possible to breed this herming trait out of the plant with possibly a more stable genetic? or even maybe a tissue culture kit?

1 Like

@imSICKkid is probably the best person to answer breeding questions.

1 Like

If it did not go hermie once than most likely not a genetic hermie or it would go hermie every single time you start flowering and possibly may have had environmental issues/light leaks that caused it to go hermie.

Trying to breed out a hermie trait in genetic hermies is beyond the capabilities of most home growers and better off starting with new genetics that is not hermie prone.

My limited experiments with crossing a slight hermie plant (only shot nanners in late flowering) with a non hermie plant just produced more hermie plants.

Tissue culture can be used to clean up a plant from diseases and virus but is not going to change genetic traits.

3 Likes

If it has hermied once then it carries the trait. It’s not a good idea to breed with it. My suggestion is to keep searching to find a more stable pheno that Carrie’s the trait your looking for.

2 Likes

It sounds like this person is talking about seed stock, and not a plant. In that case, the way to proceed is to start a collection of mothers, flower their clones, and see what finishes properly without issue.

From that point you’ll hopefully have one or more plants that meet your criteria; alternatively, you’ll need to buy more seeds and keep hunting. Breeding would almost certainly be more work and expense than buying more seeds.

If you have ideal mother plants, you don’t need to make seeds or mess with tissue culture; You simply take cuttings of the mothers and flower them.

You should encourage the grower to join the forum. As others mentioned, it sounds like they could use a sounding board to help eliminate stressors as the cause(es) of expressed hermaphroditism.

1 Like

I might add to the above comments, genetics is not something you breed out… you breed it in. If the gene is in a parent it may be present in its progeny or dormant, it may be recessive or latent, butbit will always be there.
Now to be fair, all plants come from somewhere, in the case of the cannabis plant, the parent stock of every know strain originated in a field of open pollenated plants somewhere on the globe. By virtue of this fact, every cannabis plant on earth will contain the gene for hermaphroditic traits. Just how forward that gene presents itself is the magic question. Certain plants are prone to things such as hermie or bud rot, or diseases or even more pest prone! Some have wierd deformed leaves or buds growing out of leaves.
In general, any plant that hermies, is not idral breeding stock. In addition to that, many plants exhibit this trait as they begin to enter senescence or the die off phase ( late flower in the case of cannabis ) therefore its most ideal to grow multiple plants, short list for desired traits and let them live out their full natural lifespan. Let them mature so you can see what happens as their reproductive cycle finishes etc. Once you have short listed your plants its a great time to label them and take cuttings, establish some moms prior to flowering. After all is said and done you select the final moms and dads and begin the process of pollenating.
Have fun!
Oh and a word about pollination, if you are super careful you can use several males on the same female in different locations on the plant. Likewise, you can use the same male on multiple moms. Label the individual buds with the dad used.

1 Like