Question about some lights and hood fixtures

A 600 watt HPS MH, is this a good light for a complete grow. My neighbor has several of them, and is wanting to sell them. I just bought a 8 x 6 grow shed, and was wondering if those would do a good job, or not.

1 Like

They will do a great job, they however will produce a good amount of heat and aren’t the most efficient lightning available. If you can pick a couple up for cheap I would do it. Consider buying new bulbs though unless you trust this person to not lie as lost people will only use those bulbs for 2 grows max and then replace them as they will get weaker each run and can ultimately hurt your harvest weight. The bulbs canbe pricy for a good one too, just another thing to take into consideration :metal:

5 Likes

Thanks for the info on those fixtures. They’re in the box. Only asking $50.00 a piece for them. For a 8 x 6 room will two be enough? I don’t know much about growing inside. I’m a outside grower, but started a grow in a shed this fall. I built my own grow tent. I bought three of the light you guys call Blurples. :joy: They are about nine weeks from seed, and are looking pretty good. Two of them in the back of the picture are GSCE Autos, and the two in the front of the pic is Gold Leaf Autos.

2 Likes

Those are fairly priced for sure! Also I didnt think of it until now but you will need to purchase a dimmable ballast as well if they aren’t included. They usually run around 80.00 last time I checked in a local shop in Oklahoma. @dbrn32 would have some recommendations I’m sure if you were wanting to compare your pricing and performance vs a quantum board which if you can afford the initial cost I would reccomend them as they will be more efficient in the long end if your continue to grow indoors.

1 Like

Also post a few pics of your plants in some natural light so we can get a good look at em in all their beautiful glory :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll look up some quantum fixtures. Thanks again for the heads up. When I return home I’ll get a pic with normal lighting.

2 Likes

No problem bud! Sounds good.

1 Like

What are you getting for $50? Complete fixtures or just bulbs? Also any chance you could get pictures of whatever he has?

Reason I ask is because if you intend on flowering a whole 8x6, you would probably want 4 600’s to bang the space out well. And with 4 600’s, you will probably want air cooled hoods. From there, a good horticulture bulb can be well over $50. But standard industrial bulbs are pretty cheap.

3 Likes

They were the whole fixtures. But talking to Dbpooper I’ve decided against them. I’ve already started looking up quantum fixtures. I went back and read some older post you guys had on some quantum boards. I’ll take that advice and purchase me one of those. I just pulled up the 550 V2

2 Likes

Nice choice but I think @dbrn32 might wanna pick your brain and give you some options! Hold tight.

Sure will. Getting a bite to eat, and will check back periodically.

1 Like

Hlg-550 is good for flowering a 4x4 space, maybe a little bigger. How big of canopy do you plan on having?

1 Like

Just getting back on line. Took my wife to the LSU football game. The grow tent I made is temporary. It’s 3 x 5, but I don’t have it filled. I just purchased a 6 x 8 shed specifically for me to grow in. I probably will only use half of it for a Cannabis grow. The other half will be for my vegetables. My Cannabis grow in the shed will be for winter time only. I grow outside during the spring, and summer.

If I did a 4 x 6 area of the building, what would you recommend as far as lighting? I haven’t purchased anything as of today. Thanks!

1 Like

Are those fixtures coming with bulbs for $50? And if they are included, HPS, metal-halide, or both?

They sound like a good deal for $50 each. But bulbs could be another $50 each. State of the art LEDs are cheaper in the long term, but it’ll be a few years before you’re made whole.

What about vegetating under metal-halide ahead of the outdoor season? That’s what the growers yielding pounds per plant do. You’ll get more out of each light that way. You could always put an auto or two in there with the vegging plants to tide you over.

The folks that have them for sale are out the country at this time, but when they come back I’ll be able to get more info. I will start some photos in the shed before moving them in the fields in late spring. I’ll also use it to grow in during the fall, and winter. This fall was my first time at a inside grow. That’s why I was asking about lighting. From what I see, there are folks on here that are much more knowledgeable in that area!

1 Like

24 square feet is still a pretty good sized space. I would look at maybe three hlg qb 260xl kits or custom building yourself if you want leds.

1 Like

I appreciate the help. I started on my new building yesterday, once completed I’ll then purchase the lighting you recommend.

2 Likes

image I Love Growing Marijuana Forum Just getting around to getting a few pics without the grow lights on. Been putting up a new building to grow in. The pics are of them in it. All I’m waiting on now is my new lights to come in that you guys recommended.

1 Like

Beautiful buds my friend! Good work so far and have a Happy Thanksgiving!