Question about sexing and cloning

@Hogmaster @Countryboyjvd1971

I happen to find some seeds in some street bud last year. At the of '19 I started a winter grow of ILGM autos and decided to see if this bag seed would grow into anything (it was some pretty nice smoke so bonus seeds got my wheels turning).

Fast forward to the present, they did successfully germinate and are now in veg. stage and 62 days old.

They aren’t showing signs of sex other than a green little horns (and won’t I’m assuming because i believe they are photos and still in veg stage)on an 18/6 light schedule. This is first time I’ve really messed with photo seeds (other than feminized). If i want to know if they are female I’ll need to switch the light cycle to 12/12 to kick start flowering, right?

What if I took a trimming of this plant to make a clone, and in another tent have a 12/12 light cycle. In theory, the clone would go into flowering and show it’s sex right? Would it be safe to assume if the clone turns out to be male, the mother plant would also be male?

2 Likes

Yes.

Hermies are common from bag seed too. I just threw out 4 plants from bag seed (all 4 I planted.) There were 2 males and 2 hermies. Those seeds likely got in your bag as the result of a hermie in the cultivator’s grow and the hermie trait is sometimes carried forward. That said, some do have success with bag seed grows, so if you have the room and the patience, then go for it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response @MidwestGuy, my knowledge on Herms is limited, as I have yet to stress any of my plants out to that degree i wasn’t sure which way to go. So herm mothers seeds potentially make herm babies is what your saying?

I guess I should stay the course and continue the 18/6 light schedule until the autos are finished then flip the light schedule and see what happens lol.

1 Like

Yes.

They are 62 days, so I’m not sure when you plan on flipping them. It took me about 2 to 3 weeks after I flipped to definitively see that the last 2 of mine were hermies.

2 Likes

Currently the Autos are at 9 weeks 5 days old. The starting date was the day they emerged out of the soil (11-2-19)
Auto for me usually finish around 9 to 11 weeks so possible within the next 2-3 weeks depending on the trich’s.

All the males I’ve seen pictures look lanky and skinny, not like these two bag seeds are turning out to be, but there’s really no way to know until i flip it. lol

Either way @MidwestGuy it will work out, ty for the information. If these turn out to be males, lesson learned and the knowledge is the reward, if they produce bud, yippee free smokeables.

2 Likes

oh yeah, in case any lurkers are reading and the math isn’t adding up right, that’s a typo, start date was 11-12-19. lol what can I say, I high all the time lol.

1 Like

I had this from my bag seed too, but don’t consider the characteristics to be a reliable predictor.

My experience was:

Tall & lanky: 2, one male, one hermie
Short and lush: 2, one male, one hermie.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully you will have more success than I did.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you, looks can be deceiving. I’ll see about updating here with photos once the lights are flipped. Thanks again for the response, it’s greatly appreciated. That’s why i love this community. :wink:

1 Like

If you take a cutting from each plant, label them and put them in a cup of ph’d water. Then put the cuttings in a separate space on 12 hours or less light. They should start to show sex in 7-10 days.

1 Like

Great idea @dbrn32 will try it out. Thank you for the response.

on a completely different subject, I may want to pick your brain with some LED questions. Im running some el cheapo 450 watt vispar lights that seem to handle the veg. stage of the grow but are lacking the red light spectrum. Any suggestions or direction i should go? I fell like i can still use the 3x lights (80k of hours of led life) so i maybe suggestions Supplemental red lights or building something custom to suit me needs?

1 Like

If you have the money building a custom light is not as difficult as sometimes appears. What size space would you be building for?

1 Like

lemme get my morning chores out of the way but i think i’m working with a 48”x32” space. budget maybe 300-500. I have tools and mechanically inclined, not worried about construction

1 Like

You could do single driver photo boost build for that.

1 Like

Sounds great, I have lots of questions.
Where do I start? Do i need to solder anything? Ive seen some custom builds here that look like they first constructed a aluminum frame to hold the strips, I’ll need some kind of power supply/ ballast i suppose…

1 Like

Watch this video. There are probably a couple of things you could substitute too if need be.

1 Like

Excellent video @dbrn32 I’m sold! Unfortunately they are currently sold out of the LED but I jumped on an email list so hopefully will here back soon when they restock. I miss spoke early, it turns out my tents a 48x48 (not 48x32) but that shouldn’t be an issue, right?

1 Like

They recommend two of those fixtures for a 4x4.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. I will probably build one first (if and when they are available, see what type of results I get, then build another one eventually. I’m not planning on using the entire tent to grow but glad to know beforehand if I need to, i’ll need to make another one. I’m thinking of using my old vispars for early veg. tent then finished them out in the larger tent.

1 Like

I am currently running 2 of the PLC Photo Boost strip lights on my grow. If you want to take a look. My journal is Bulldognuts first grow journal.

2 Likes

Most definitely, I’d love to check out your progress @Bulldognuts

2 Likes